Reverse Design Mechanical Engineer ( R-00083552 )
The Leidos Intelligence Group is seeking a talented Mechanical Engineer in Reston, Virginia. Our dynamic R&D team focuses on interoperability of systems within WMD related facilities. Candidate must bring a creative, yet sound, approach to identifying and solving challenges with these interrelated systems in a customer setting, and have exceptional attention to detail and a commitment to thoroughness. The successful candidate will work within an interdisciplinary team of government and contractor personnel conducting Weapons of Mass Destruction Analysis. Work will be performed in a fast-paced, high-energy environment within a government facility. The candidate should demonstrate a willingness to research and resolve highly complex problems with state of the art engineering techniques and use advanced technologies. Candidate should have the ability think differently, unconventionally, and from a new perspective.
- Must possess an active TS/SCI and eligible for a poly
- MS in mechanical engineering, or BS in mechanical engineering with MS in related field
- 10-15 years’ experience in the intelligence and/or DoD communities
- 10+ years’ experience leveraging mechanical engineering principles
- 5+ years’ experience with fluid mechanics:
- Fluid behaviors
- Fluid dynamics
- Experience with manufacturing or industrial processes
- Ability to read design schematics
- Ability to work on a team with engineers and scientists from various technical fields
- Reverse engineers complex systems based on partial information
- Conducts basic design of mechanical systems for the purpose of computer modeling
- Analyzes engineering data to identify holistic understanding of limitations
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and customer relation skills
- Highly detailed oriented
- Adept at working in a fast-paced environments
- Ability to resolve complex, unclear problems and issues with research and nontraditional solutions.
- Comprehensive WMD tradecraft; focused on modeling and assessing industrial facilities.
- Exploitation of national level intelligence
- Expert is creating briefs and papers using Microsoft office
- P.E. license in mechanical engineering or related field
- PhD in related field
- Real world experience supporting Industrial/Manufacturing production
- Experience in agent-based modeling, CFD, coding, or related modeling or programming
- 5+ years’ experience in the WMD community
- 5+ years’ experience with Chemistry or Chemical engineering
- In depth knowledge of WMD problems with a focus using mechanical engineering principles
- Experience using MATLAB or other software
- Working knowledge of the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) – Research & Development Directorate
- Experience working with Combatant Commands
Leverage Mechanical Engineering experiences daily to solve advance completed problems. Analyze intelligence when available, if not available use reverse engineering and best practices to produce assessments, briefs, papers, graphics, and data for the counter-WMD community. Develop counter CFD R&D projects to advance the community understanding and capabilities. Serve the team as the mechanical engineer subject matter expert. During exercises and customer driven requirements provide on-site 24/7 mechanical engineering SME support.
Works independently to achieve day-to-day objectives with significant impact on operational results or project deliverables. Responsible for entire projects or processes within a professional area. Typically responsible for coaching and reviewing the work of lower level professionals.
Problems are unclear and may require understanding of a broader set of issues, and may be difficult. Develops solutions to problems and issues that are unclear and require thorough analyses and understanding of domain knowledge.
Communicates with internal and client project team members. Works to influence team members regarding solution design, process and/or approaches.
Has full understanding of concepts, principles and industry practices within own discipline. Has deep understanding of industry practices and standards.
Requires a BA degree and 12+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 15 years of prior relevant experience.Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.