Principal Data Engineer (106719688)
Optum, the fast-growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Do you want to impact decisions to help people live healthier lives? Do you want to become an innovative Data Engineer who thrives on developing new solutions to solve tough challenges?
We want to achieve more in our mission of health care, and so we have to be really smart about the business of health care. At Optum, we're changing the landscape of our industry. You will put your technical skills to work as you empower business partners and team members improve healthcare delivery. You will research cutting edge big data tools, and design innovative data products / solutions to solve business problems that only a Data Engineer can.
You will be working on innovative data solutions driving and supporting various analytical solution with popular data frameworks in the industry like Apache Spark, Kafka, Presto, etc. You will be an important member of a team focused on innovation; developing proofs of concepts that leverage data in new and exciting ways. It will give you a great opportunity to get into the Data world and learn best practices in the industry working with data both on-prem and in cloud.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architectures and analytics platform.
- Work with large and complex data sets that meets various stakeholders functional and non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements, such as :
- Data encryption
- Data de-identification to ensure data security
- Role-based data access
- Automating manual processes,
- Optimizing data delivery,
- Tuning and optimizing data processes for greater scalability, etc
- Work with various stakeholders Executives, Product Owners, cross functional Data and Design teams to assist with data-related projects
- Work on Proof of Concepts by creating various data products for analytics and data scientist team members; Assist them in building and optimizing data products into an innovative industry leader
- Modelling of big volume datasets to maximize performance for analytic teams
- Mentoring junior members of the team
- Masters / Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or other technology related fields
- Proven hands-on experience of developing big data processes using big data tools – Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc
- Experience with object-oriented / object functional scripting language : Python, Scala, Java etc
- Hands on experience in writing complex SQL queries
- Experience building effective and optimising Big Data ETL/ELT/Data Pipelines, frameworks and architectures
- Exposure to the following technologies: Airflow, Hive, HBase , Presto Jenkins, Travis, Kafka and Cloud technologies: Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Data warehousing principles, architecture and its implementation in large environments
- Demonstrable experience leading or owning solution delivery projects, with accountability of work to peers, senior and/or management level team members
- Previous experience with Relational Databases (RDBMS) & Non- Relational Database
- Analytical and problem-solving experience applied to a Big Data environment and Distributed Processing.
- Strong communication skills, able to work with stakeholders from multiple levels and disciplines
- Experience working as part of an agile delivery model
- Exposure to DevOps methodology
- Adaptable and keen to learn new technology / programming language
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.