Outside Plant Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
- Managing all engineering activities of the assigned turf area for projects associated with expanding and maintaining the OSP network infrastructure.
- Work will include fielding and designing upgrades, repairs, and enhancements to the Outside Plant telephony network which includes all structures (such as poles and conduit systems), cable (copper & fiber) and associated equipment for aerial, underground, buried, and customer premise equipment for multi-tenant buildings.
- Leading large scale projects, driving productivity through use of vendor resources to meet deliverables.
- Engaging appropriate internal and external organizations and individuals with professional written/verbal communications to accomplish required tasks.
- Coordinating project activities with contractors, developers, municipalities and consultants.
- Proposing solutions supported by sound engineering and operational productivity to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
- Recognizing vulnerabilities in network infrastructure and makes intelligent decisions to ensure reliability–within financial constraints.
- Preparing detailed cost analysis, project specifications, requisitions, and business justifications.
- Processing reports, vendor invoices, material receipts, and other administrative duties.
- Receiving general instruction, otherwise performs independently with minimal supervision, exercising latitude to achieve daily objectives and approaches to critical/complex assignments.
- Communicating project status and progress to team members and customers.
- Multi-tasking to effectively manage a wide range of simultaneous activities often interrupted by other demands.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You know a lot about outside plant engineering and construction practices. You enjoy analyzing problems and having the autonomy to select and implement the right solutions. While you work well independently, you are also a great teammate and enjoy leading colleagues and coordinating efforts to ensure the best outcomes. No stranger to a fast-paced environment, you balance multiple assignments and opposing priorities while staying passionate about important deadlines. As a strong communicator, you can quickly build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand. Ability to work in a diverse environment, indoors and outdoors, business and residential, and must be able to solve complex problems with innovative solutions.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Access to Internet Service while working from home.
- Valid Driver's license.
- Willingness to travel 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in engineering or technical/science/mathematics fields.
- Experience with UUI, vBuild, ICGS, IVAP, IDDS, FIM or other mapping and drafting software.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule asneeded.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.