Principal Data Engineer ( 599771-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a part of our Artificial Intelligence and Data organization as a Principal Data Engineer, you will be responsible for leading development and validation activities of Big Data products and applications which run on the large Hadoop and Teradata clusters.
You will lead technical team members to develop and test ETL processes, migrate different applications to Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and develop data validation tools used for performing quality assessments and measurements on different data sets that feed Big Data products.
The Artificial Intelligence & Data (AI&D) organization at Verizon focuses on delivering the power of data and AI to drive our marketplace leadership through innovative solutions that create value for our customers, shareholders, V teamers and society, responsibly.
- Lead in design, development and testing of data ingestion pipelines, perform end to end validation of ETL process for various datasets that are being ingested into the big data platform.
- Perform data migration and conversion validation activities on different applications and platforms.
- Provide the technical leadership on data profiling/analysis, discovery, analysis, suitability and coverage of data, and identify the various data types, formats, and data quality issues which exist within a given data source.
- Contribute to development of transformation logic, interfaces and reports as needed to meet project requirements.
- Participate in discussion for technical architecture, data modeling and ETL standards, collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Senior Developers to establish the physical application framework (e.g. libraries, modules, execution environments)
- Lead in design and develop validation framework and integrated automated test suites to validate end to end data pipeline flow, data transformation rules, and data integrity.
- Develop tools to measure the data quality and visualize the anomaly pattern in source and processed data.
- Assist Manager in project planning, validation strategy development
- Provide support in User acceptance testing and production validation activities.
- Provide technical recommendations for identifying data validation tools, recommend new technologies to improve the validation process.
- Evaluate existing methodologies and processes and recommend improvements.
- Work with the stakeholders, Product Management, Data and Design, Architecture teams and executives to call out issues, guide and contribute to the resolutions discussions.
Where you’ll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of Software development and testing experience.
- Experience with developing and testing ETL, real-time data-processing and Analytics Application Systems.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Experience with tools and programming languagessuch as Spark, HBase, Hive, Sqoop, Impala, Kafka, Flume, Oozie, MapReduce, Scala, Java and/or Python.
- Experience in technical leadership and mentoring the team.
- Knowledge in Spark SQL, Scala code development in big data Hadoop environment and/or BI/DW development experiences.
- Knowledge in shell scripting Experience in Web Services - API development and testing.
- Experience with development and automated framework in a CI/CD environment.
- Experience with cloud environments - AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
- Working experience on large migration projects.
- Development experience for tools and utilities for monitoring and alert set etc.
- Familiarity with project Management and bug tracking tools, i.e., JIRA or a similar tool.
- Strong analytical skills with a methodical approach to problem solving applied to the Big Data domain.
- Good organizational skills and strong written and verbal communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).