Principal Engineer - Kubernetes ( 603646-1I )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
We are looking for a Cloud Infrastructure Principal Engineer to join the Verizon Global Technology Solutions (GTS) Team. The individual will join our team and assist on Architecting, Engineering, and implementing an enterprise-wide Kubernetes platform to implement simple/automated Cloud adoption to containers platform to reduction of expenses as part of IT’s mission. This individual will have a good level of technical expertise and daily hands-on implementation working in a product team developing services in two week sprints using agile principles. This entails programming and orchestrating the deployment of feature sets into the EKS platform.
- Evaluate new Cloud container Solutions to determine value within Verizon IT.
- Expertise in large containerized computing environments utilizing Kubernetes with Docker containers for a large IT enterprise wide environment. Also detailed institutional experience and knowledge in Public, Private, and Hybrid Cloud computing environments including the
- integration of compute technologies. This includes understanding of architecting and engineering large enterprise solutions to achieve cost efficiencies, scaling, and availability for a large enterprise environment. Decent knowledge and experience implementing/supporting Kubernetes
- Evaluate technical options for meeting user needs and ensure that system requirements are identified, prioritized, and incorporated in an effective, efficient manner.
- Translate application requirements into system requirements that can then be used to design and implement the operating environment for applications to run in a Kubernetes CaaS platform.
- Evaluate legacy application design and recommend fundamental application redesign changes required to function in a Kubernetes CaaS platform.
- Developing standards and providing guidance to management and peers.
- Evaluate new Cloud CaaS Solutions to determine value within Verizon.
- Perform POC (Proof of Concept) technical evaluations for new technologies for use in the Cloud.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant work experience
- Experience on Server and Cloud Virtualization technologies.
- Experience in large containerized computing environments utilizing Kubernetes.
- Experience with Docker containers for a large IT enterprise-wide environment.
- Experience and knowledge in Public, Private, and Hybrid Cloud computing environments including the integration of compute technologies.
- Experience leveraging and managing CI/CD tool chain products like Jira, STASH, Git, Bitbucket, Artifactory, and Jenkins.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Masters in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect or other AWS certifications.
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) certification.
- Knowledge and experience implementing/supporting Kubernetes
- Knowledge of containers and container management technologies(Docker, cri-o and Kubernetes).
- Knowledge of RHEL, CentOS, Alpine or any other Linux derivatives.
- Knowledge of Public Cloud architectures, configurations, services, and solutions (Amazon Web Services Cloud Formation, EC2, ALB/NLB, S3, ASG, CloudWatch, Lambda, Fargate)
- Knowledge of scripting and automation programming -- languages like Golang, Python, Perl, Bash.
- Knowledge of Application Architectures, microservices design, 12 factor applications.
- Knowledge of Configuration management tools like Ansible, Terraform.
- Experience with Datadog, Prometheus, or other monitoring solutions
- Knowledge of AWS EKS or Google GKE.
- Knowledge of information systems concepts, system administration, and cloud platforms.
- Knowledge of system design and hardware at an enterprise level.
- Decent knowledge and experience implementing/supporting Kubernetes
- Decent knowledge of containers and container management technologies; Docker and Kubernetes
- Basic understanding and managing CI/CD toolchain products like Jira, STASH, Git, Bitbucket,
- Artifactory, and Jenkins
- Experience in systems concepts, system administration, and cloud platforms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure and deliver sound results
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.