Data Center Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The primary role will involve racking and stacking equipment, provisioning the network transport equipment and managing all aspects of data centers to include HVAC, space and power planning and build management systems
You will also be responsible for purchasing and installation of equipment cabinets, telco racks, CAT5, Coax, multi-pair copper and fiber optic cables. You will troubleshoot and install services that include layer one communications and transport services.
- Install and troubleshoot Local and LD services that include Private Line, and Local/Long distance, Transport and Switched services.
- Use knowledge of Local/LD optical networks as well as Project Management skills and knowledge of PM tools and technique.
- Perform hands-on testing of circuits and work with our customers and other departments to complete the activation of new layer one services and to resolve customer service issues.
- Plan and execute work independently and using your own initiative and judgment to handle non-routine matters and challenging issues.
- Work in a fast-paced work environment using multiple test sets, tools and information databases.
- Participate in or conduct periodic project status meetings and joint working sessions with both internal and external teams and/or vendors.
- Work directly with Verizon customers and other Verizon departments both internal and external to their own department in order to complete the activation of new services and to resolve customer service issues.
- Meet schedule commitments to ensure timely delivery.
Where you'll be working...
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location, Richardson, TX or Ashburn, VA.
What we’re looking for...
You will need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with Central Office Engineering principles such as space, power, and/or HVAC requirements for technical and administrative spaces.
- Ability to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% or less.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in electronics or other related discipline.
- Project Management skills and knowledge of PM tools and techniques
- Ability to plan and execute independent work.
- Exercise judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining project results.
- Own initiative and judgment to handle non-routine matters and ambiguous issues.
- Self-motivated, have excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work autonomously and in a team environment.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs to include Word, Excel and Visio.
- Technical knowledge of Local/LD optical networks.
- In-depth working knowledge of Layer 1 SONET networks.
- Knowledge of layer one test equipment.
- In-depth working knowledge of Fujitsu and Ciena equipment.
- Experience in fault isolation, repair and resolution, and documenting root cause analysis (RCA) for reported trouble tickets.
- Knowledge of ANSI and BICSI Standards.
- Knowledge of DWDM networks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.