Principal Lab Infrastructure Engineer ( 604941-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Join Verizon Systems and Maintenance Engineering as we continue to expand our industry-leading network to improve the ways people, businesses, and things connect. Verizon is positioned to lead the “Fourth Industrial Revolution” (4IR) with the emergence of technologies like our best-in-class 5G network and the Internet of Things (IoT) to impact a wide variety of industries such as healthcare, education, manufacturing, public safety, government, and many others. We are in the midst of historic breakthroughs in connectivity and mobility to blend the physical and the digital through cutting-edge technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, nanotechnologies, 3D printing, wearables, and advanced robotics. As part of this team, you will play a critical role in our network transformation through building a unified network across all lines of business and maintaining the technology that keeps millions of our customers connected.
When joining our Verizon Cloud Platform (VCP) Lab & Systems Support team, you will help build our Laboratory infrastructure, and manage the lifecycle of the production cloud platform deployments utilized to deliver next generation and 5G network services.
- Defining and Implementing Lab testing tools and processes.
- Troubleshooting Lab environment and tools failures.
- Developing and Implementing production network configuration and software release compliance auditing using agile software development processes and tools
- Planning, evolving, and implementing laboratory platforms and systems necessary to operate the VCP lab environments, including VNF/CNF onboarding automation tools, hardware/software inventory management tools, DNS and Timing/NTP resilient platforms, test traffic generation and tapping, and End-to-End (E2E) alarm monitoring of platforms and VM instances.
- Driving the implementation best-in-class solutions for secure access and authentication systems, and utility/jump server platforms.
- Driving and/or performing detailed engineering of efficient laboratory hardware environments in alignment with Verizon’s strategic facility plans to make best use of available funding, floor space, and power.
- Developing and Implementing Lab administration, and testing and support automation using agile software development practices and tools such as Ansible, Puppet, BASH and Python Scripting
- Coordinating with Maintenance Contracts team members to define lab and production network technical support, software support, and licensing requirements for Lab Systems.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
What we’re looking for...
You get excited by the possibilities that technology creates and how it can improve people’s lives. Applying your analytical skills and expertise to solve complex problems is personally rewarding. While you are self-motivated and work well on your own, you are highly collaborative and people also know you for your ability to drive the performance of cross functional teams and deliver great results. No stranger to working in a fast-paced environment, you convey a sense of urgency and manage multiple competing priorities with ease, never missing a deadline.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Linux Administration certifications I and II, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Strong networking skills, including TCP/IP, LDAP, DNS, NTP, SSH, and SSL interworking.
- Experience working with modern configuration management tools such as Bash, and Ansible.
- Experience with Github/Gitlab
- Experience deploying and supporting various distributions of Linux and OpenStack such as RedHat Enterprise Linux and Openstack.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related discipline.
- Arista and Cisco switch administration and configuration experience.
- Network certifications CCNA, CCP, or equivalent proficiencies.
- Data Center engineering experience.
- KVM virtualization experience.
- Experience in system administration, and network administration of Openstack and/or Openshift virtualization environments.
- Experience in storage administration (Netapp, CEPH)
- Familiarity and practical experience with virtualization technologies and protocols such as VxLAN, SR-IOV, Hypervisors, vSwitch, Virtual Machines and orchestration tools.
- Experience with distributed storage solutions such as iSCSl, Ceph, and Swift.Experience with Linux systems administration, preferably in a virtualized environment.
- Experience with networking concepts and protocols, including SDN and NFV.
- Scripting skills such as Python, Ansible, Bash, Ruby, Perl, REST.
- Working experience with data analysis tools such as Excel, Splunk, and Tableau.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.