Principal Engineer - Capacity Planning ( 606489-1F )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Our BlueJeans Operations team is responsible for everything from hardware to operating system to automation to network traffic engineering. There are no limits or barriers. Everyone pitches in to run world-class infrastructure that delivers the BlueJeans video communications platform globally.
This role is responsible for capacity planning & analysis of entire platform. This person would be required to work cross-functionally with several teams to ensure optimal operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective. The role demands proactive engagement with business teams to obtain projections, growth estimate and provide a detailed layout on what these projections mean from an infrastructure and application growth perspective. The responsibilities and function of the Capacity and Planning Engineer is to provide capacity and cost measurement, reporting, and analysis of the distributed systems infrastructure for the BlueJeans data center as well as the public cloud. They must ensure high levels of data integrity, quality and availability for the enterprise. Routine duties include analyzing current and historical capacity and performance data, determining performance bottlenecks, trending and forecasting capacity growth and reporting these issues to concerned teams.You will be involved in the following daily activities:
- Provide capacity planning and performance analysis aligned with business demand.
- Engage with business to capture customer growth estimates and able to turn business language into a technical document.
- Work with application owners to determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes.
- Create capacity utilization reports for Computer, Database and Network infrastructure.
- Manage and provide current systems usage and cost statistics, provide future projected growth estimates based on customer s demand.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’re a motivated self-starter. Never satisfied with the status quo, you’re always trying to beat a personal best. You thrive in a fast-paced environment where new challenges come up every day. You are flexible, dependable, and work well in varying environments. You love identifying and solving problems, communicate well, and are passionate about cloud services, technology and the web.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- Solid experience in performance engineering or capacity engineering.
- Experience in SQL and analytics tools such as Tableau, Quicksight, Redshift, Looker, and ThoughtSpot.
- Experience with functional or imperative programming languages -- e.g., Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- Experience with latest public cloud (AWS, Azure) with a focus on contemporary components like K8s, autoscaling, Spots, etc.
- Experience or familiarity with logging and monitoring dashboard tools such as New Relic, Splunk, Fluentd, Sumologic etc.
- Analytical, budgeting and planning skills.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.