When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Satellite Engineer III understands concepts of Telecom and IP/Networking theory, Network architecture, and Network systems/platforms. Handles customer remote site activations, cross-polarization measurements, simple network connectivity and troubleshooting and adheres to identified work instructions. Communicates instructions and next steps to field vendors and communicate up to higher level peers. Normally receives general work instructions on routine work assignments. Often times, satellite engineers will need to speak directly with customers who may not know the technical details of satellite technology. Supports day-to-day operations to include circuit troubleshooting, outage reporting, publications, and record keeping. Coordinates with outside agencies in the engineering and troubleshooting of satellite trunks. Conducts systems engineering provisioning for all communications circuits and direct operations.
- Network Engineering and Operations Engineers are responsible for installation, monitoring, testing and maintenance of earth station telecommunications and associated equipment per specifications and operational procedures; Radio Frequency (RF), Intermediate Frequency (IF), and baseband technologies.
- Perform testing and diagnostic procedures on equipment according to published equipment standards with support. Use test, measurement and diagnostic equipment to analyze, interpret, troubleshoot, document and restore digital services.
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures to ensure effective results on all workflows.
- Perform monitoring of vendor activities, and remote monitoring of other teleports when necessary.
- Monitor the network for anomalies and handle issues from customers according to established procedures for management and technical escalations.
- Monitor service level and take appropriate action to maintain.
- Perform with support the assembly, installation, configuration and/or testing of satellite and network equipment including amplifiers, modems, routers, switches, multiplexers, etc., along with associated wiring and cabling
- Coordinate the testing and turn up of service with all involved parties.
- Work with government, international and domestic customers to maintain highest level of service for their circuits.
- Responsible for site operation with minimal supervision during eight hour shifts.
- Commissioning of VSAT terminals for both I-Direct and Newtec networks.
- Responsible for multiple VSAT hubs on site providing many customers with critical services.
- Initiates emergency restoration procedures following commercial power failures.
- Monitors earth station and terrestrial systems for proper operation.
- Establish good working relationship with internal/external departments to ensure timely completion of various tasks.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Three or more years of experience in Satellite Network Communications.
- Two or more years of experience with IP Technologies.
- Willingness to work various shiftsas well as on-call rotations based on the needs of the business.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in Electronics/Telecommunications.
- CCNA/CCNP or other Cisco Certifications.
- Other Satellite or IP Certifications.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.