Distribution Engineer ( R-00090685-OTHLOC-6314 )
Leidos offers its knowledge and expertise over a wide area of cutting-edge energy technologies and independent oversight, combined with proven business acumen. Building our work for publicly and privately-owned utilities, financial institutions and local governments, we are able to provide our clients with business insight into all sectors of the infrastructure industry
Currently, we have an opportunity for Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering to join our diverse and fast-paced organization in Framingham, MA. This position can be remote, but candidates local to the Framingham, MA area are preferred.
This position will be working with our growing Power Distribution Engineering team. This role will require QA/QC of both simple and complex engineering projects, working directly with clients, and ensuring the Leidos reputation of high quality is maintained.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
- In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
To be considered for the following levels:
- Senior Level: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of four (4) + years of relevant Distribution Construction Standards Engineer experience
- Lead Level: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of eight (8) + years of relevant Distribution Construction Standards Engineer experience
- Principal Level: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of eight (12) + years of relevant Distribution Construction Standards Engineer experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) with four (4)+ years of either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering.
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
- Experience or knowledge of BOUD, GE Smallworld or other similar GIS software
- Experience or knowledge of CAD tools or similar design tools
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
Nice to haves
- Experience with distribution design: reconductoring projects, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new business projects
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification or PE
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP, Microstation
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
- 10%-30% Field Inspections
- 60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
- 10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
Leidos Engineering is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
PDSDLINEPay Range:Pay Range - -
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.