Distribution Engineer ( R-00090703-OTHLOC-8941 )
**This role can be 100% remote but the candidate must be in one of these regions- Augusta, ME; Binghamton, NY; Rochester, NY; New Haven, CT; or Framingham, MA
We are in search of Distribution Engineers for electric utility design engineering to join our diverse and fast-paced organization. This position can be remote, but candidates local to the Augusta, ME; Binghamton, NY; Rochester, NY; New Haven, CT or Framingham, MA area are preferred.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
- In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
To be considered for the following levels:
- Mid Level: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering degree (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) with a minimum of two (2)+ years of either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
- Experience or knowledge of BOUD, GE Smallworld or other similar GIS software
- Experience or knowledge of CAD tools or similar design tools
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
Nice to haves
- Experience with distribution design: reconductoring projects, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new business projects
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification or PE
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP, Microstation
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
- 10%-30% Field Inspections
- 60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
- 10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career; share your resume with us today!Pay Range:Pay Range $52,650.00 - $81,000.00 - $109,350.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.