Principal Engineer ( R-00089828 )
Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Your greatest work is ahead!
We currently have a permanent vacancy for a Principal Engineer to provide technical leadership, experience and guidance in the mobilisation and execution of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) within a major programme of works. This will include the application of modelling to support system requirements, design, analysis, verification and validation activities. Working within the technical leadership team you will be responsible for production of process documentation bringing MBSE into the delivery lifecycles on multiple cross functional teams ensuring they adhere to a common process for program execution, information technology (IT), service management and delivery. This represents the standard methodology for planning and performing all of the essential activities of a project lifecycle. Alongside this the Principal Engineer will deputise for the Chief Engineer (CE) as and when needed.
You will attend customer meetings to assess technical requirements and offer feasible technical solutions across both hardware and software. You will work alongside the CE to present design proposals, run demos, scope concepts, work collaboratively with bid sales team and operational/resource teams to ensure successful delivery. As a key technical individual on the account you will also contribute to product development activities, keeping on top of market trends, technical developments and revolutionary offerings. We are looking for someone with a natural capability for translating technical solutions to non-technical teams and stakeholders and who has a successful track record delivering complex post-production and cloud solutions.
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY
Principal Engineers should be highly innovative and versatile. The successful candidate will have a full understanding of the principles of system engineering, be able to demonstrate past successes in leading small diverse engineering teams and will have prior experience leading large small Systems Engineering teams for a programme. Using their experience in Systems Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle.
Duties will include but not limited to:
- Collaborates with the Chief Engineer on all engineering effort:
- Resource Management for engineering disciplines.
- Technical customer requirements – discovery and analysis of requirements.
- Production of impact assessment and estimates against customer-provided specifications.
- Solution derived requirements, design and approach.
- Project management items; technical measures, constraints, risks, technical deliverables, assumptions, dependencies. Own and plan the engineering effort for their aspect of the programmes.
- Reviews the proposed technical solution and approach with the purpose of establishing and managing an overall technical baseline for his aspect of the programme.
- Execute the engineering effort.
- Communicates the technical plans and assignments to all members of their technical teams and sub-contractors.
- Establish the technical sub-teams based on the agreed organisation structure.
- Manage engineering analyses, trade studies, prototype development and test.
- Expert knowledge and tangible evidence of previous implementation(s) of MBSE into early lifecycle projects.
- The ability to communicate at all levels about high level architecture as well as the low level design layers.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to interact at all levels from engineers to executives.
- An ability to understand and translate customer needs and expectations
- Understanding of various system development methodologies.
- Ability to lead, encourage and influence cross functional and multi-location teams.
- Ability to define new strategies and processes, driving these through to their implementation.
- Confidence to work independently and within a fast-paced team.
- Experience of delivering solutions within the context of Service Orientated Architectures and associated service management solutions (people, process, governance & technology).
- Will have a high level of competency in the following areas:
- Delivering Engineering Solutions.
- Managing engineering processes.
- Delivering Quality.
- Engineering Planning.
- Managing Suppliers & Contractors.
- Cost Estimating.
- ITIL experience
- Cloud Micro-services
- Knowledge of Home Office programmes desirable, however experience of equivalent domains or systems suitable.
- Experience of transitioning from legacy systems to new capabilities.
- Experience decomposing system of systems architectures and specification of systems at multiple levels.
- Experience of specifying systems/services from user perspective and ability to produce abstract views of detailed internal service design.
- Experience in designing Cloud-based Platforms would be an advantage, including large scale system virtualisation and orchestration.
- Experience of utilising DOORS (or similar requirements management tool) to manage requirements and Model Based Systems Engineering tools for managing user scenarios.
- Due to the nature of the project, this role will require having or obtaining an SC clearance
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.