Radiation Mechanical Engineer
Leidos Maritime Systems Division has an opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer, The employee will be based at San Diego, at the Point Loma Naval Base, supporting systems development at Naval Information Warfare Center, Pacific. There will be approximately 10% travel required, this position does not offer teleworking. Position requires a Secret security clearance.
Mechanical engineering support is sought for system design, prototyping, and testing for radiation detection systems. Design tasks include carbon fiber housings, pressure vessels, and mounting brackets. The candidate will design both on-land and in-water systems. The candidate will interact with radiation scientists, electrical engineers, and other staff routinely on each project to garner requirements. The candidate is expected to refine a design through iterative test cycles. The candidate is expected to document and present system designs using commonly accepted practices in NIWC Pac. The candidate must be able to perform routine design and test tasks independently without supervision.
- Experience in CAD software such as Solid Edge or Solid Works is required.
- System design, prototyping, and testing for radiation detection systems.
- Design tasks include carbon fiber housings, pressure vessels, and mounting brackets.
- Ability to design both on-land and in-water systems.
- Ability to interact with radiation scientists, electrical engineers, and other staff routinely on each project to garner requirements.
- Ability/ interest is expected to refine a design through iterative test cycles.
- Ability to document and present system designs using commonly accepted practices in NIWC Pac.
- Perform routine design and test tasks independently without supervision.
- Experience in CAD software
- Effective communications skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to obtain a DoD Secret clearance
- Requires BS degree and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
The employee must:
- Have a broad technical curiosity, with a demonstrated ability to learn new subjects and skills quickly and effectively,
- Be able to effectively interact with, articulate opinions, and receive feedback from other technical team members,
- Be well-organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with good interpersonal skills,
- Have excellent technical writing and communication skills,
- Have strong computer skills,
- Have experience reading, interpreting, and understanding engineering drawings and schematics,
- Be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Knowledge of shock, vibration, and thermal stress and protection techniques
- Experience in parts fabrication techniques (machining, 3D printing)
- Experience in manufacturing and system installation
- Knowledge of radiation detection systems
- Knowledge of radiation detection system test and evaluation
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.