Sr Engineer Consultant-Database
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You will work on full cycle database administration on multiple database technologies hosted on both in house and cloud platforms. You will interface with multiple development teams and support their project life cycles while ensuring that the databases are available, recoverable, secure and meeting the performance expectations. You will also mentor and assist junior staff and contribute to projects based on new or changed technology.
- Supporting both the objectives from the development teams and the Corporate/Departmental goals in the areas of implementing standards across the team for database deployment, recoverability, performance, compliance, and security.
- Supporting the migration of databases from in house datacenters to both the AWS and Oracle cloud environments. In this capacity you must either possess the skills to work with these cloud providers or rapidly acquire these skills on the job.
- Releasingdeployments typically occur after normal business hours and on weekends. Additionally, you will be part of a DBA team providing rotating 24x7 pager support. You will provide such after hours and weekend support to both the applications directly assigned to you and other applications supported by the Team.
- Interfacingwith both development and monitoring staff located in countries outside of the United States and in other corporate entities supporting out sourced applications.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Oracle database administration experience
- Experience with an additional database such as but not limited to MySQL, SQLServer, Postgres, Sybase, DB2 (on LUW or z/OS).
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree or Master’s degree in Computer Engineering and / or relevant technical disciplines.
- End-to-end knowledge of Oracle database technologies including Oracle RAC, Golden Gate, Dataguard, RMAN, and OEM.
- Experience tuning on multiple database technologies.
- Experience with problem analysis and tuning on multiple database technologies.
- Design and deployment skills.
- Ability to implement physical designs from logical designs.
- Unix level scripting skills
- Unix OS fundamentals
- Experience programming in Java, Python or any other language.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.