Lead Distribution Engineer
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Currently, we have an opportunity for Lead Distribution Engineer, PE for electric utility design engineering to support our Electric Cooperative Team. As a position with supervisory responsibilities, the candidate will be expected to report in-person in a full time or hybrid schedule. Ideally, candidate would be within driving distance of Durham or Wilmington however, all qualified candidates residing in the North Carolina or Virginia will be considered including those for work-remote only.
Leidos is trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to our Power Delivery Services for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
• Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Leadership training
• Management opportunities
In this role you can expect to gain:
• NESC expertise
• Structural Pole Modeling
• Electrical Power Calculations
• Project management expertise
• Financial management
• Interaction with other disciplines (Substation, Transmission, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
Duties will include but not limited to:
- Developing the work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and WMS systems such as GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer and Maximo, in addition to industry accepted design and analysis tools.
- Reviewing and sealing work packages for distribution designs of Junior Engineers.
- Providing training and guidance for Junior Engineers.
- Meeting with Clients to develop scopes and work through design issues.
- Provide workable solutions to Clients for designs of varying complexity.
- Will be comfortable in both a field and office setting and will be trained in customer engineering and construction standards.
- Supporting structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand and fault currents.
- Coordination of conflicting utilities, and other field engineering design requirements, the assessment and development of design big packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements and ROW applications, and the design of mainline vault medium voltage switchgear, network system design and distribution system protection and coordination.
- Work under supervision of Engineering Manager to ensure program success for scope, schedule, and budget requirements.
- Customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates. Overnight travel may be required.
Background must haves:
· Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree (EE preferred) is required and a minimum of four (4) years of prior relevant experience: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering. Equivalent additional experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
· PE license
· Experience with Voltage Conversion projects, Road Widening Projects, Major Underground Projects, Conductor replacements, and OH to UG conversions
· Knowledge of NESC Standards
· Excellent verbal and written communication
Nice to haves:
· Experience providing estimated costs and development of BOM
· Experience with design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc, O-calc
· Experience using MicroStation or AuotCAD--performing Electrical Distribution design
· Experience with design standards
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies."
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.