Lead Data Engineer - Telecommute
UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
At Optum Labs, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We accomplish this by working at the intersection of healthcare and technology, striving to create the most effective, affordable, equitable, and engaging health care solutions for patients, payers, and providers. When you bring your talents to OptumLabs - the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group (UHG) - your contributions will change the lives of millions of people.
Optum Labs is a diverse and curious team with the highest level of expertise in engineering, cloud systems, product development, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), scientific research, and clinical practices. We partner with global thought leaders across a range of disciplines to build disruptive solutions and innovative products that change the way healthcare is accessed and delivered. For decades, UHG has been a global leader in the healthcare industry, meaning that we have access to the most robust healthcare datasets on the planet. Today, UHG is well positioned to be the leader in applying AI and ML capabilities to solve the most complex problems in health care.
Optum Labs’ engineering team works to develop a Data, Analytics, and Machine Learning platform that unifies available data, expands UHG’s data portfolio, and provides a common infrastructure that allows AI/ML practitioners to expedite the development of AI-enabled products. We strive to ensure that data is of high quality and meets all security and compliance requirements. We develop platform capabilities that are reusable and scalable across the enterprise. These capabilities accelerate our enterprise strategy, while providing computing services that allow UHG to develop and deploy AI and ML products that impact millions of lives each day.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
As part of OptumLabs’ engineering team, you will:
- Work with the business and product teams to design, develop and maintain specialized data products within the healthcare domain
- Develop deep understanding of the data products to provide ongoing development and operational support
- Troubleshoot data quality and data processing issues
- Work with product and compliance teams to apply appropriate data usage rights for data products created
- Manage data requirements gathering, data analysis/modeling, and data issues resolution using standard approved technology
- Utilize internal and external ETL tools for data processing and publishing data products
- Managing standardization, migration, transformation, validation, and quality assurance of data within Optum Labs Data platforms
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all deliverables
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Perform code reviews and mentor junior engineers
- Influence the technical direction for the team
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- 5+ years of experience with ETL using IBM DataStage for large and complex data sets in a Teradata environment
- 5+ years of programming experience with at least one querying language (SQL, HiveQL, SPARQL), schema definition languages (e.g., DDL, SDL, XSD, RDF), and scripting languages (e.g., Python, Scala or Unix Shell scripting)
- Experience working in cloud environments such as Azure or GCP
- Hands-on experience with any of the data tools like Databricks, Azure Data Factory, Power BI, etc.
- Healthcare data experience (experience with claims, clinical or call systems)
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
WE LEAD WITH DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND COMPASSION
At Optum Labs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to “walk in each other’s shoes” and open doors for our peers.
UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional, and national organizations that share these values through joint initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Through our Connected Communities, employees can connect with others who have similar – or different – life experiences and backgrounds. These groups are led by peers, supported by Human Capital, and championed by leaders.
WE INVEST IN TALENT
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours.
At Optum Labs, employees are our first customers. That’s why we offer virtual work environments – to provide work/life flexibility via telecommuting. While it can be a struggle to be a telecommuter, it can also provide enormous benefits for your personal and professional life.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $97,300 to $176,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $97,300 to $176,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.