Customer Experience (CX) Principal Engineer Consultant
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Principal Engineer (PE) represents the most senior level of Professional Services engineers. As a Principal Consultant, a successful candidate will demonstrate business acumen necessary to effectively engage at the senior executive level. In this role you will communicate technical considerations and the impact of custom solutions to clients’ identified business problems to key stakeholders and decision makers across the top strata of the strategic client base. As a Principal Engineer (PE), you will be a valued member of Verizon's Professional Services (PS) team. The PS team implements and maintains both Verizon hosted, cloud based and premise solutions which contribute to millions in Verizon revenue. Because the solutions are critical to our customers (Verizon’s Enterprise, Medium Business, and Government), our focus is to consult with superior quality and a sense of urgency. The team is comprised of professionals with decades of experience, covering multiple technologies, in Contact Center design and delivery. Work is performed from Verizon offices, remotely, and (at times) from customer locations. You will be working within our PS Customer Experience (CX) team to drive implementation of complex hosted solutions and PS revenue.
The Principal Engineer is responsible for architecting, designing, implementing and maintaining complex hosted, cloud based and customer-premise contact center solutions for Verizon’s business customers, including directed-dialog, natural language and conversational speech IVR (Interactive Voice Response) and AI applications with integration of chat/voice bots, real-time and static data and reporting. The PE acts as a technical designer, developer and consultant to:
- Demonstrate advanced technical skills and the ability to solve challenging technical issues in a fast-paced environment.
- Create, build and continuously improve speech recognition-based IVR applications and host gateway applications.
- Speech recognition and data exchange IVR applications analysis, design, implementation, code review, unit and integration testing, user acceptance test support, deployment and documentation phases of projects following the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) process.
- B2B client/server integration.
- Application layer connectivity testing and troubleshooting.
- Team-centric processes to identify, document, review and consult on Speech User Interface design.
- Routine system changes and updates to Speech-based IVR applications.
- Genesys or Cisco B2B client/server integration, and related VOIP/SIP/CTI standards and technologies.
- Participate in presales activities to identify customer business requirements.
- Guiding and mentoring team members in all areas of responsibility, including UX/CX, speech recognition, professional communications, implementing process improvements, customer interactions, application design, and development.
- Understand project scope and solution possibilities by having a thorough understanding of SOW (Statement of Work), customer contracts, and change control documents.
- Translate customer needs to technical requirements, high-level architecture, low-level design and implementation.
- Create and present technically feasible, maintainable, and supportable designs.
- Act as project liaison for platform engineering and support.
- Assist in remediation of technical architectures deployed by Verizon customers in support of specific business objectives.
- Work with UI designers, developers, and testers to complete designs and triage defects.
- Foster a teamwork environment by understanding project team member needs and dependencies and promoting team buy-in on design and technical matters.
- Coordinate hand-off to Verizon Operations and Managed Services or Customer Managed Services for lifecycle management for standard Verizon products.
- Provide escalated technical support for resolution of production outages, root cause analysis and permanent correction.
- Work in close collaboration with Voice User Interface Designer and Solutions Engineers to understand and implement projects effectively.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Omni-channel design and/or CX (Customer Experience) consulting experience.
- Ten or more years of experience with IVR and speech application development in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Skilled software architect and developer with a strong understanding of cloud and web service technologies.
- Experience developing software using VXML, Speech Recognition and GRXML grammar development.
- Microsoft Visual Studio, .NET 4.0 and higher, C#,ASP.NET, ASP ADO, Windows Services, IIS.
- Experience with Web Services, including SOAP and RESTful, Web service security.
- Experience with Google or Amazon cloud services and voice / chat bot development.
- Familiarity with industry-standard IDEs, source control and issue tracking systems.
- Strong expertise of back-end (e.g., Database, Hosts, Mainframe) integration.
- B2B client/server integration, utility and tool development.
- Skill in Google Office Suite products, remote web meeting software, cloud-based collaboration software (Smartsheet, Stormboard familiarity would be a plus).
- Ability to learn and demonstrate knowledge of the client business/industry as well as knowledge of Verizon’s Professional Services offerings.
- Significant organization skills and ability to store and recall large volumes of information.
- Strong communication skills to accurately represent and convey information both in verbal and written form.
- The ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of professionals.
- Experience working in dynamic and fast-paced environments.
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a self-directed work team.
- Experience with JIRA and/or workflow tools.
- Experience in software architecture design and implementation of enterprise-scale applications, including back-end server, mid-tier, and UI software/tools.
- Familiarity with Verizon Hosted IVR/Speech platform (NGSN and IPIVR).
- Holds Microsoft Certification: Azure AI and / or Google Cloud Certification.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.