Principal Engineer Immersive Experience
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As the Principal Engineer - Immersive Experiences, you will be responsible for developing and executing a strategy to accelerate and catalyze the Corporate Systems Group (CSG) Innovation Ecosystem delivering value to our corporate partners, employees, and Verizon. You will take the long-term view to identify where CSG can be constructively disruptive through strategic partnerships and investment in emergent technologies that will provide future ready solutions to complex corporate problems.
Comprised of passionate and forward-thinking leaders, the CSG Emerging Technology & Digital Innovation (ET&I) team you will join includes ecosystem builders and industry experts in hyperautomation, process mining, Blockchain, digital twins, industrial IoT, AI, ML and other emergent technologies. With a belief that the autonomous future sits at the intersection of intelligent networking, devices and software, the team is working to shepherd internal corporate business partners through their digitization journeys to enable the connection, management and operation of physical and digital elements needed for future ready enterprise operations. The combination of these technologies will transform corporate enterprise landscapes to deliver new levels of efficiency, intelligence and business outcomes in productivity, experiences and compliance.
You will be working across various teams within CSG and broader Verizon to ensure our strategy is well understood and aligned with Verizon’s growth initiatives. You will collaborate with other strategists, researchers, product managers, engineers, and our Global Technology Solutions team to craft these end-to-end investment strategies that position CSG to capitalize on new ecosystems, whether through applied research, proof of concept development, incubation of disruptive ideas, internal and external partnerships, or internal IP creation and federation.
Your Ability To Successfully Execute Will
- Catalyze the CSG innovation ecosystem bringing many different partners together creating simple and purposeful employee and customer experiences
- Enable our corporate enterprise lines of business to directly impact bottom-line cost efficiencies and top-line revenue growth
- Bring the future of Immersive Experiences forward to today.
The innovation process is never a straight line though, so you will need to continuously learn, analyze, and refine the Immersive Experience opportunity through progressive strategy iterations and taking ownership over the path to getting a return on investment.
What You Will Do
- Develop comprehensive, data-driven strategies that translate high-level opportunity hypotheses into detailed and rigorous decision frameworks, technical investment recommendations, and tactical execution plan around Immersive Experience
- Analyze the current technical landscape, from existing technologies and products to corporate demands and problem statements
- Articulate a point of view on future technical evolutions and collaborate with various teams within Verizon to directionally validate your hypotheses.
- Map the future value chain and areas for potential CSG investment, including gaps that may be candidates for net-new products.
- Craft technical and functional decision criteria for each component of the value chain along with a pipeline of potential use case targets.
- Evaluate and conduct early diligence of potential use cases through targeted business development outreach, product benchmarking, and technical testing, in collaboration with CSG product teams, and various other technology development teams across the company.
- Internally ideate and validate potential use case investments and go-to-market approaches through cross-functional stakeholdering across Verizon.
- Build bottom-up financial models to quantify the potential return on investment for both overarching opportunity strategies and individual use case investment targets.
- Package strategies into cohesive, executive facing business plan narratives and present to Verizon C-level leadership.
- Own the success of our partnerships and investments through active management, strategy and product roadmap alignment.
- Develop, present and execute on various exit strategies based on partnership and use case investment performance against the backdrop of changing corporate dynamics.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- A degree
- 6 or more years of experience with augmented, virtual and extended reality platforms
- 4 or more years of experience with game engines such as Unity or Unreal
- 4 or more years of experience with industry-standard design tools, including Adobe Creative Suite, and Maya or 3DS Max
- 4 or more years of experience with platforms such as NVIDIA Omniverse, Amazon Sumerian, Microsoft Mesh
- Experience managing all aspects of a project, including budget, timeline, scope, quality, and customer expectations
- Knowledge and experience using Agile (Scrum and/or Kanban) methods to develop complex projects
- Expertise in research and development of creative solutions to complex corporate systems and information technology challenges
- Experience in identifying and capturing new business opportunities both internally and externally
- Financial modeling and analytical skills needed for business case development, pricing, and cost analysis.
- Strong conceptual as well as quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
- Finely-honed storytelling skills with the ability to translate data, sentiment and business concepts into well-articulated and compelling visual narratives at the executive level.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.