Outside Plant Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
You’ll be managing all engineering, maintenance, and enhancements to the Outside Plant Telephony Network, including structures, cables, and associated equipment. This critical role will coordinate with a variety of teams and have direct contact with business and residential customers. You’ll work in diverse environments, to solve complex problems and implement innovative solutions to keep our customers happy.
- Designing additions, upgrades, repairs and enhancements.
- Selecting and pricing solutions based on the most effective, efficient, and timely design.
- Coordinating with internal departments and liaising with residential and business end-users, building contractors, and property owners to implement solutions appropriately.
- Creating winning outcomes for both us and our customers.
Our network engineering team keeps us ahead of the competition. As a Network Engineering and Operations Consultant you will be managing capacity for our fiber and FIOS network to support various initiatives in the Long Island and New York City Area. You will play a key role in making sure our network can support FIOS, FTTC, Network Transformation and Ethernet based services while in a leading role. You will be expected to manage large volumes of work utilizing and developing tools and resources to meet overall team requirements and objectives.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Involved in fiber capacity management.
- Issuance of related backbone engineering work orders.
- Fiber to the Prem - OLT, EDFA, NG3 Capacity Management.
- Issuance of all CCR requirements.
- Network Transformation & Switch Shutdowns
- Selection of Technology solutions
- Multiple switch shutdowns which need to be addressed separately & require more analysis
- Digital Loop Carrier Deployments - Securing space and power for equipment deployments.
- Working circuits will need to be prioritized along with DLC and HICAP requirements
- Fiber and conduit requirements will need to be addressed for FIOS, DLC and/or HICAP equipment upgrades
- OLT, EDFA and Splitter requirements will need to be monitored while growing NGPON2
- Increase tracking calls to review requirements and solutions
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You have knowledge of outside plant engineering practices. You enjoy analyzing problems and having the autonomy to select and implement the right solutions. While you work well independently, you are also a great team player and enjoy leading colleagues and coordinating efforts to ensure best outcomes. No stranger to a fast-paced environment, you manage multiple assignments and competing priorities while staying focused on important deadlines. As a strong communicator, you can quickly build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- A Valid Driver's license.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to make network design decisions based on recommended Engineering Guidelines and design criteria.
- Ability to interact with customers in a clear and concise manner in order to communicate and explain our service order process and the method of delivery.
- Familiarity with NYC dense urban environment.
- Experience with windows-based programs and corporate database systems.
- Experience with CAD, and MS Excel/MS Access.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives, we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a New York work location, the compensation range for this position is between $83,000 and $154,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.