We are seeking a Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering in Walled Lake, MI. This position will be working with our growing Power Distribution Engineering team. This role will require QA/QC of both simple and complex engineering projects, working directly with clients, and ensuring the Leidos reputation of high quality is maintained. This position is hybrid in nature, with some time spent in our Walled Lake office, and some time spent working remotely/from home.
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
• Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
• Professional Engineer License (PE)
• Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Leadership training
• Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
• NESC expertise
• Structural Pole Modeling
• Electrical Power Calculations
• GIS design training
• Project management
• Financial management
This position will develop construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include new business and reliability designs. Work packages will be developed using Bentley Open utilities Design, Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
• Bachelor of Science in an engineering discipline is required and two (2)+ years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree and relevant experience: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Experience with Voltage Conversion projects, Road Widening Projects, Major Underground Projects, Conductor replacements, and OH to UG conversions
• Ability to utilize personal vehicle as some local customer/job related travel may be anticipated. This travel will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates.
Nice to haves:
• Experience providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC
• Experience with design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, SPIDAcalc
• Experience using AutoCAD--performing Electrical Distribution design
• Experience with design standards
• EIT/FE credentials preferred
PDSDLINEPay Range:Pay Range $52,650.00 - $81,000.00 - $109,350.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.