Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
Work at the interface of pharma, genomics, and data engineering. The candidate will significantly contribute to the development of modern data services for BMS’s research scientists.
Bristol Myers Squibb seeks a highly motivated Data Engineer to enable data integration efforts in support of data science and computational research efforts. The Data Engineer will be responsible for executing an ambitious digital strategy to support BMS’s predictive science capabilities in R&ED (Research & Early Development). The successful candidate will partner closely with computational researcher teams, IT leadership, and various technical functions to design and deliver data solutions that streamline access to computing & data, and help scientists derive insight and value from their research.
The role requires someone who can seamlessly mesh technical knowledge to help navigate R&D cloud, CoLo, and on-premise computing needs, including planning, infrastructure design, maintenance, and support.
The role will lead the development of infrastructure that enables interoperability and comparability of data sets derived from different technologies and biological systems in the context of integrative data analysis. The candidate will create and maintain optimal data pipeline architectures that enable scientific workflow and collaborate with interdisciplinary teams of data curators, software engineers, data scientists and computational biologists as we test new hypotheses through the novel integration of emerging research data types.
The work will combine careful resource planning and project management with hands-on data manipulation and implementation of data integration workflows.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Designing and developing an ETL infrastructure to load research data from multiple source systems using languages and frameworks such as Python, R, Docker, Airflow, Glue, etc.
- Leading the design and implementation of data services solutions that may include relational, NoSQL and graph database components.
- Collaborating with project managers, solution architects, infrastructure teams, and external vendors as needed to support successful delivery of technical solutions.
Experiences and Education
- Bachelor's Degree with 8+ years of academic / industry experience or master's degree with 6+ years of academic / industry experience or PhD with 3+ years of academic / industry experience in an engineering or biology field.
- Demonstrated high proficiency with current software engineering methodologies, such as Agile SDLC approaches, distributed source code control, project management, issue tracking, and CI/CD tools and processes.
- Excellent skills in an object-oriented programming language such as Python or R, and proficiency in SQL
- High degree of proficiency in cloud computing
- Solid understanding of container strategies such as Docker, Fargate, ECS and ECR.
- Excellent skills and deep knowledge of databases such as Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redshift, and Aurora, including distributed database design, SQL vs. NoSQL, and database optimizations
- Demonstrated high proficiency with current software engineering methodologies, such as Agile SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) approaches, distributed source code control, project management, issue tracking, and CI/CD tools and processes.
- Strong technical communication skills.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.