Data Engineer Delivery Lead
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
BMS is expanding its Data Engineering Center for Excellence (C4E) and is looking to hire a full-time, out-of-college, Data Engineer/Delivery Lead that will participate in establishing and driving adoption of Data Engineering tools and best practices and lead small teams of data engineers delivering modern data solutions in a cloud environment.
The C4E plays a key role in enhancing and enabling the use of BMS modern Enterprise Data Lakehouse (EDL) and associated data engineering capabilities built on AWS Cloud services, Apache Spark, Cloudera CDP and other commercial and open-source products. This is a great opportunity to learn leading edge technologies within an industry-leading Data engineering team and directly apply them to enable modern data and ML/analytics solutions that deliver break-through therapy to patients.
- Work with a team of experienced data, ML and cloud engineers to develop and promote re-usable patterns for the ingestion and transformation of data in the Enterprise Data Lake and Lakehouses including lifecycle management, data quality check, security and privacy, transformations and metadata enrichment
- Create/drive adoption of data naming conventions, data definition (i.e. business glossaries), dictionaries, taxonomy/ontologies and standards for data structures used the EDL
- Execute appropriate processes and build automation to manage quality and lifecycle of the data and metadata and integrated metadata across the ecosystem for data lakes/repositories.
- Ensure data catalog, data lineage and metadata is easily available to user
- Enable adoption of FAIR (findable, accessible, inter-operable and re-usable) principles and seek opportunities to further enhance the data supply chain to accelerate delivery of analytics use case scenarios
- Pro-actively support data quality managements by implementing proper data quality checks in data ingestion capabilities and by providing relevant reporting and alerting
- Deliver data engineer services for ingesting data in the EDL, creating data hubs to integrated and distribute data and for supporting data exploration activities conducted by data science teams
- Assist EDL tenants that are deploying new solutions
- Create sample code, document best practices, contribute to practitioner guides and provide ad-hoc training to data scientists and data analysts learning how to use the EDL tool ecosystem
- Participate in the evaluation, selection, and operationalization of new technologies
- Learn and champion the use of AIML to further advance data engineering capabilities
- Entry level recruit
- Academic/Internship experience with programming, data analysis or app-dev preferred.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related
- Some professional experience (including internships) is a plus but not required
- Demonstrated ability, desire and curiosity to quickly learn new technologies and apply them to in data and analytics space.
- Working knowledge of (through academic projects, internships, self-learning, etc.) programing languages such as SQL, Python, Scala, etc, commonly used in data engineering and analytics, and experience with some of the related libraries such as PySpark, Pandas, etc.
- Knowledgeable with one of the popular cloud database services (e.g. RDS, Redshift, etc.) and developer tools such as Git, Airflow, Jupyter, Lambda, etc.
- Familiarity with Machine Learning, both ML model development and operationalization, is a plus
- Working experience of SDLC and Agile methodology, including basic understanding of software development lifecycle.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Desire and ability to work with diverse group of people to implement innovative ideas and solutions
- Problem solver with having demonstrated the ability to “think out of the box”.
- Ability to document technical information, concepts and best practices and communicate to other data practitioners.
- Self-organized and self-starter.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.