Principal Engineer Radio Frequency
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Our network engineering team keeps us ahead of the competition. As a Principal RF Engineer, you’ll produce RF planning analyses, budgets, and traffic reports for the region. You’ll also give guidance to markets on RF planning, and develop network evolution and growth plans. You’ll play a key role in making sure our customers continue to enjoy the crystal-clear connections and top-notch call performance that we’re known for.
- Serving as the subject matter expert for RF design guidelines, and Traffic Engineering.
- Providing leadership, guidance, and technical direction to the RF Engineers, hosting meetings to plan and share information, and ensuring consistency in the submarket planning policy.
- Leading collaboration with SP teams for a short-term, and long-term offload solutions.
- Partnering with SP teams to improve LTE, VoLTE, 5G performance, and supporting optimization efforts.
- Developing and updating the yearly capital budget plan and providing regional feedback to HQ recommendations.
- Partnering with the Territory and HQ teams to participate in Various Trials for new technology, antennas, Radios and tools.
- Taking ownership of RF related high level designs standards, antenna / radio standards and the associated implementation to ensure best practices.
- Having proficiency in database management, and manipulating large data.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
This role may be considered as part of the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
What we’re looking for...
You’re a technical leader with excellent problem solving, analytical, and organizational skills. Resourceful and motivated, you’re driven to constantly find new ways to improve productivity and quality through automation. You’re energized by the prospect of representing us at meetings and forums, and you enjoy mentoring and coaching junior team members in order to improve the capability of engineering across the region.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
- A valid driver’s license.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Masters of Science electrical engineering, Engineering, or a related technical field. Ideally, with a specialization in RF or communications systems.
- Experience in Ericsson infrastructure.
- Knowledge of LTE call processing (originations, handoffs) and data networking (switching/routing,TCP/IP).
- Strong mapping skills and in-depth knowledge of RF design, and Traffic trends.
- Strong knowledge of LTE, 5G (mmW and C-Band) technologies along with NR, DSS, VoNR, VoLTE, etc.
- Knowledge of interference detection and correction techniques.
- Knowledge of RF data collection/analysis/propagation tools and RF test equipment.
- Experience in MapInfo, and other mapping tools.
- Experience in Monte Carlo simulation or other statistical models.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python or any scripting tools.
- Experience in Tableau server and desktop, creating reports and dashboards.
- Strong management skills, including strategic thinking, self-awareness and team focused leadership;Mastery of wireless network architecture technologies, concepts and industry standards.
- Understanding of call processing (originations, handoffs) and data networking (switching/routing, TCP/IP).
- Takes ownership of issues and drives them to resolution.
- Self-motivated and efficient with minimal supervision.
- Experience in working with RF Engineers and planners to recommend process improvements, especially where additional automation is possible.
- Building a healthy pipeline of capacity and VoLTE coverage solution projects.
- Experience in providing presentations to other groups as required.
- Experience in Leading Large scale submarket wide projects for RF Design.
- Experience in looking for areas to improve overall network performance.
- Find and resolve system issues on the network by utilizing traditional and non-traditional means.
- Experience in antenna theory and design and RF tools.
- LTE and 5G traffic engineering experience, and experience with performance and traffic trending tools.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.