Principal Engineer Data Engineering
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As the technical lead for Verizon’s Data Catalog integration solutions, your goal is to help transform the way Verizon manages data. You will conduct technology research, understand internal stakeholder needs, and define product requirements for integrating and consolidating Verizon’s inventory of data. Finally, you will deliver successful new solutions for metadata management and integrate with existing solutions for data governance.
Execution and implementation:
- Delivering a clear strategic vision and technical road map.
- Having multiple horizons as a Solution leader to succeed now, but also having the right approach to succeed tomorrow and in the future.
- Performing an objective technical analysis of a potential integration solution.
- Articulating what you learned from research to inform a technical decision.
- Mapping needs with target stakeholders and analyze the solutions to actively pursue.
- Designing the data catalog integration and metadata management solution to solve global data governance problems.
- Illustrating data governance problems in a "story" that puts the problem in context. User stories are one component of requirements.
- Managing proactive communications with relevant stakeholders from strategy through execution.
- Identifying competitive and alternative solutions in the market, assess their strengths and weaknesses, and develop a strategy for meeting Verizon’s goals for Data Governance.
Where you’ll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You will need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Experience in data governance technology professional who has demonstrated abilities to solve large scale technical and business problems related to data governance.
- Five or more years of experience in relevant data management architecture.
- Experience in REST API/ JSON/ JAVA/ Spring boot/ Linux.
- Experience in flowable or another BPMN 2.0 compliant workflow management system.
- Experience in agile and/or Lean experience and/or certification.
- Experience in postgreSQL DB / Hadoop.
- Experience in microservices / Docker/ Kubernetes.
- Experience in teradata.
- Experience in google Cloud Platform/Google Big Query.
- Experience in IBM Watson Knowledge Center Experience.
- Experience in IBM Cloud Pack SME knowledge & experience.
- Experience in Apache Atlas.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.