Principal Engineer Data Science
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Principal Data Scientist will partner closely with data science and engineering teams and the entire data scientist community within Verizon in scaling personalization via rapid experimentation and optimization. The Principal Data Scientist will own personalization recommender algorithms for recall & candidate generation and/or personalized ranking, which are part of our price, promotion, content and services experiences and are at the heart of our strategy in delivering the best customer experience. Models will typically get implemented on premise, in cloud and/or on the edge and in both real-time and batch mode depending upon the business applications.
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company. At $130B+ in annual revenue, this is a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing the 5G network nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will be critical that this candidate possess previous experience in research and validation of AI and data science techniques.
An ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills, critical thinking skills, and have stellar software development and model development experience.
- Developing the next generation of AI that protects the privacy of our customers and ensures that our modeling practices are ethical and bias free.
- Designing, architecting and maintain of the end to end recommender system.
- Testing and validating all AI methods. Deploy and manage models throughout the end to end lifecycle.
- Bringing thought leadership in this space by introducing ways of identifying and testing for biases in our models.
- Having knowledge of developing search & recommender system in production.
- Serving as a trusted advisor to all stakeholders at Verizon.
- Coaching and mentoring our high potential talent.
- Partnering with academia and startup ecosystem to identify and potentially bring in new AI approaches that can be of value to Verizon.
- Staying informed on the latest advancements in AI and technology space, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing these to our specific problem space.
- Helping create an environment where our scientists are engaged in pioneering work that can be shared with the world in a number of ways like open source, publications, etc.
- Leading the way in creating AI applications designed with bias considerations and that promotes ethical AI both within Verizon and externally with Verizon’s partners.
- Supporting and further our best practices and governance routines to ensure adherence to model management policies, peer reviews, and compliance to our policy standards for privacy, ethics, and bias.
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even Better if you one or more of the following:
- Two or more years of experience in scaling AI in areas like personalization, forecasting, experimentation, computer vision, etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to explain both the code and the underlying math used in algorithms/models. Excellent coding proficiency with demonstrated expertise in python, java, scala, etc. Expert level knowledge of AI/ML models, frameworks(keras, pytorch, etc.) and libraries/packages/apis (e.g., scikit).
- Four or more years of experience in developing models and algorithms independently, writing your own code, developing strategy for algorithmic experimentation, and deploying in production.
- Experience in both batch and streaming models in production.
- Knowledge of math, probability, statistics, and models.
- Experience in Hadoop, AWS or other distributed compute services.
- Knowledge of data structures, data modeling and software architecture skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or similar field.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.