Field Engineer-Cells (NYM)
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Join Verizon as we continue to expand our industry-leading network to improve the ways people, businesses, and things connect. Verizon is positioned to lead the “Fourth Industrial Revolution” (4IR) with the emergence of technologies like our best-in-class 5G network and the Internet of Things (IoT) to impact a wide variety of industries such as healthcare, education, manufacturing, public safety, government, and many others. We are in the midst of historic breakthroughs in connectivity and mobility to blend the physical and the digital through cutting-edge technologies such as virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, nanotechnologies, 3D printing, wearables, and advanced robotics. As part of this team, you will play a critical role in our network transformation through building a unified network across all lines of business and maintaining the technology that keeps millions of our customers connected.
As a Cell Site Engineer, you’ll be out in the field keeping our facilities and equipment in top form by maintaining several locations in your assigned area. You’ll be doing regular maintenance, keeping inventories, doing audits, and maintaining and upgrading cell sites or installations. You’ll also be evaluating our network coverage and finding ways to make it even better.
- Performing optimization, troubleshooting, and maintaining base station equipment, RF transmitters, and Fiber network.
- Testing the fiber network and integrating network hardware to bring new products on-air and enhance customer experience.
- Evaluating network coverage to find gaps, making recommendations to improve coverage, and helping to implement those recommendations.
- Conducting routine, preventative maintenance on assigned cell sites to identify potential issues during general site inspections.
- Complying with the company- and industry-wide standard directives to maintain network performance and enhance efficiency.
This position includes relocation assistance.
Physical requirements of the job may include, but are not limited to: climbing stairs and ladders, working from elevated areas, lifting and carrying objects weighing up to approximately 65 pounds, pushing, pulling, grasping, twisting/bending, crawling, squatting, or kneeling in small spaces.
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location(s).
This candidate will provide cell site support that will surround the Brooklyn and Queens territory.
What we’re looking for...
You’re tech-savvy and well-versed in all things telecommunications. Working independently suits you well. You’re also thorough, vigilant, and on top of the details—someone people count on to solve problems and to make sure they don’t happen in the first place.
You’ll need to have:
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time
- Ability to report to the designated job site/work location within 45 minutes to one hour of notice to provide rotational on-call coverage for the Brooklyn and Queens territory.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A technical degree in Electronics or Telecommunications.
- Experience in troubleshooting antenna systems from transmitter to antenna using tools like a spectrum analyzer.
- Experience in PIM/VSWR/MIMO/RET including knowledge of fiber and LTE remote radio heads.
- Experience in electronics training in telecommunications, two-way radio, paging, or microwave radio.
- Experience in training in data communications, digital communications, operating systems and applications, computer support, scripting, project management, or power.
- Experience in Lucent, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, or Ericsson, base station equipment with LTE or CDMA technology.
- Telecom experiences such as T1, DACS, or OMP.
- Experience in dark and lit fiber testing using equipment such as OTDR, and fiberscope.
- Experience in computer support, including troubleshooting PC hardware and configurations.
- Power experiences such as Galaxy, Lorain, or DC distribution systems.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a New York work location, the compensation range for this position is between $57,684 and $82,023 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.