Junior Civil Engineer
UNLEASH YOUR POTENTIAL! Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient. At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics, and engineering professionals.
Get familiar with Leidos Life, our radical program for employees to balance work & life. We offer flexible working arrangement with hybrid and remote working options.
We are seeking an entry level civil/transmission line engineer to join our collaborative and dynamic team working in a fast-paced environment, solving challenging problems involved with high voltage electric transmission. The successful candidate can expect a fast-paced, diverse work environment and a manager and peers who will encourage career development and growth!
As a member of our team, you will be responsible for planning, engineering, and design efforts related to the preparation of calculations, drawings, specifications, and reports to define the scope of work associated with the construction of electric power transmission and distribution lines. You will have the opportunity to partner and collaborate with professional engineers and other project engineers and team members to solve real world challenges for our utility grid customers. You can expect to gain experience in wood, steel, and concrete structure analysis and design; foundation analysis and design - both deep and shallow; substation structural design; transmission line design using PLS-CADD software; construction document development; bill of materials creation; sub-contractor coordination and bid document creation; permitting research and development; detailed hardware assembly and structure erection drawing creation; and many other tasks. Furthermore, as part of project development, engineers are frequently requested to perform site and condition assessments on existing transmission lines which can often be through remote and rugged terrain; a willingness and interest to perform this field work is also necessary. Additionally, the successful candidate will periodically interface directly with clients, and will provide assistance to Project Managers and other project stakeholders.
We foster development in our junior staff by encouraging participation in or a path to:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Mentorship & Career Development
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can expect to gain experience with:
- Structural analysis and design
- Foundation analysis and design
- IEEE National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
- AISC, ACI, ASCE, and other codes and guidelines
- Interactions with other disciplines (Substation, Distribution, Site development, and PMO)
- Interfacing with local clients
- Practical construction observation & on-site inspection
- Strategic development
- Expanding a portfolio of business
- Partnering with a variety of utility clients nationwide
Education & Experience:
- B.S. in civil engineering required
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Course of studies in structural & geotechnical preferred
- Willingness to travel to project and/or client sites periodically
- Detail oriented and self-starting with good time-management skills
- Prior experience with specific transmission and distribution (“T&D”) projects or other civil/structural engineering related fields
- M.S. degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Engineer-In Training (“EIT”) / Engineering Intern (“EI”) professional certification preferred
- Experience with Mathcad, AutoCAD or MicroStation, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a plus
Ideally, candidate would be within driving distance of our office in Portland, OR. We value in person interaction especially for entry level candidates to enrich your career development and collaboration with project teams. The candidate will be expected to report in-person in a full time or hybrid schedule. However, all qualified candidates residing in the U.S. will be considered including those for work-remote only. Furthermore, all employees will be considered to transition to remote positions once established at Leidos.
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Pay Range:Pay Range $46,800.00 - $72,000.00 - $97,200.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.