Underground Transmission Line Engineer (REMOTE)
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally. For us, helping you grow your career is good business.
Our Transmission business seeks experienced Underground Transmission Line Engineers to join its dynamic team (100% remote/telework) to work in a fast-paced environment, solving challenging problems involved with high voltage electric underground transmission line design. The successful candidate will serve as a Lead Engineer on underground electric transmission design projects for high-voltage (HV) and extra high-voltage (EHV) overhead utility systems. He/she will apply NESC, EPRI Green Book, IEC, CSA, IEEE, ANSI, IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, ACI 318, and other applicable standards in the engineering and design of electrical underground, voltage conversion projects, new capacity projects, and infrastructure replacement projects. Additionally, he/she will assist the team as well as independently perform engineering analyses, prepare bidding documents, plans and specifications; as well as prepare material procurement and construction documents, and work with project planning, environmental, permitting, and construction management.
We will consider qualified candidates to work fully remote (must reside in the U.S. only).
This position offers the successful candidate to develop an engineering team with direct report responsibilities. The candidate will also be responsible for managing client relations, proposal development, scope creation, and project management.
To be considered for these positions, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below.
- For Mid-level: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and minimum of four (4) years of prior relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems
- For Senior level: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and minimum of eight (8) years of prior relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems, P.E. license required, to serve as responsible engineer in charge of design of projects
- For SME level: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and minimum of twelve (12) + years of prior relevant experience in the design of electric utility transmission systems, P.E. license required, to serve as responsible engineer in charge of design of projects
All levels require:
- Experience in reviewing full underground transmission line designs including material, plan and profiles, and construction packages
- Proficiency with CYMCAP modeling
- Proficiency with cable tensioning calculations and software
- Experience performing design incorporating code requirements, EPRI recommendations, and client requirements
- Experience with cost estimate development and schedule creation and coordination
- Experience with XLPE cable design
- Ability to prepare specification for installation and procurement of underground transmission line materials and components
- Knowledge to verify/review right-of-way requirements, bonding schemes, underground transmission line plan and profile drawings, and other construction documents
- Knowledge of design techniques, tool, and principals involved in the production of technical plans, drawings, and models
- Experience in writing and providing support documentation for engineering calculations
- Familiarity with design codes and standards such as NESC, EPRI Green Book, IEC, CSA, IEEE, ANSI, IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, and ACI 318
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Ability to develop staff through mentoring
- Ability to work effectively in team environment but also able to work independently
- Proven ability to communicate with clients and project teams
- Must have leadership experience and supervising others (required for Senior and SME Level)
- Work in client office is a possibility and/or periodic travel may be required
- Overhead transmission experience
- MFAD Tools
- Bentley MicroStation
- Bentley ProjectWise
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Construction Management and Support
- Underground distribution or low voltage cable systems
- High Pressure Gas Filled or High-Pressured Fluid Filled pipe type cable systems and associated equipment.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical workplace. In fact, in 2023, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the sixth consecutive year.
Pay Range:Pay Range $66,300.00 - $102,000.00 - $137,700.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.