Principal Data Engineer
- Defining and driving end to end Data pipeline deployments including roadmap, design and ensure execution excellence with business outcome-oriented metrics.
- Driving data harmonization components to enable business value generation for network services and operations to take proactive action on time.
- Supporting the building prototypes and proof of concepts to prove out integrated technologies and products and then driving these POCs forward through implementations.
- Providing oversight and collaborating on pipeline implementations to ensure governance, quality and observance.
- Leading junior team members on technical and functional skills.
- Utilizing in-depth understanding of data warehousing technologies as well as a wide breadth of knowledge spanning on prem and cloud deployments to shape the future of enterprise wide network big data ecosystem.
- Meeting business objectives by delivering high quality, on-time and on-budget solutions utilizing a global talent pool spanning employees, T&Ms and SOW labor.
- Working with onshore teams to oversee execution of tasks such as development and population of data/ETL pipeline, testing results with end users and providing operational (production) support
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Strong communication, presentation and influencing skills.
- Experience in collaborating across a wide range of internal/external teams with data engineers, architects, data scientists and enterprise platform teams in designing and deploying data products.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science major or related Engineering field and 10+ years of work experience. Even better if you have a BS/MS in Computer Science, Information Science, Engineering or other related fields.
- Programming experience in Back End Systems Development with database technologies (SQL, NOSQL). Hands on experience in designing and building data pipelines leveraging Python, Spark, Flink, or Java
- Fluent understanding of best practices for building Data Lake and analytical architectures on any Cloud Big Data toolset (Google Cloud Platform most preferred) and Hadoop.
- Strong ability to apply business mindset to data issues and initiatives. Ability to integrate cross-business strategies and manage enterprise-wide global development resources.
- Knowledge of data governance practices, emerging trends and issues, business and technology.
- Familiarity with Agile Development methodologies (example SAFE Scaled Agile) and enabling tools (Jira, CI/CD and other DevOps functions).
- Experience identifying potential areas of performance improvement, problem avoidance, capacity limitation and work with Engineering/Planning/Operations organizations for appropriate and timely action.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
Where you'll be working
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.