As a Hardware Developer at IBM, you’ll get to work on the systems that are driving the quantum revolution and the AI era. Join an elite team of engineering professionals who enable IBM customers to make better decisions quicker on the most trusted hardware platform in today’s market.
Your Role and Responsibilities
At IBM Research, we invent things that matter to the world. Today, we are pioneering the most promising and disruptive technologies that will transform industries and society, including the future of AI, Blockchain and Quantum Computing. We are driven to discover. With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research is one of the world’s largest and most influential corporate research labs. The hired candidate will have experience in optics, materials science, physics, and/or metrology. The candidate must understand the fundamental principles of semiconductor processing, dimensional/property characterization, and optics. The candidate will define the path for leading methodologies from concept through implementation. The hired candidate must also possess strong analytical and design-of-experiment knowledge, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to articulate difficult concepts to an audience with diverse technical backgrounds. Some of the job responsibilities include dimensional and materials characterization for next-generation semiconductor manufacturing, analysis of measurement performance, stability, and verification through reference metrology. The position requires interaction with cross-functional and multi-company working teams that include engineers engaged in process integration, unit process, and metrology. The position may entail equipment ownership, engagement with vendor companies, and operations support, so an understanding of basic tool troubleshooting and SPC monitoring would be beneficial. The ideal candidate will have experience with the semiconductor device manufacturing process, patterning and integration techniques. The ideal candidate will have experience engaging interdisciplinary teams to anticipate and develop high quality measurements in these domains. The ideal candidate will also have experience generating technical documentation to share learning, improve training procedures, and propagate best practices. A track record of innovation in business processes, publication in industry of research and development work, and/or basic programming experience are additional valuable qualities, but not required.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
1) General engineering
2) Design of experiments and statistical process control
3) Technical communication
4) Knowledge of model-based optical and x-ray metrology
5) Bachelor’s in science or engineering discipline
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
1) Knowledge of secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS)
2) Sustaining and improvement of semiconductor processes
3) Master’s or PhD in science or engineering discipline
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
- Healthcare benefits including medical & prescription drug coverage, dental, vision, and mental health & well being
- Financial programs such as 401(k), the IBM Employee Stock Purchase Plan, financial counseling, life insurance, short & long- term disability coverage, and opportunities for performance based salary incentive programs
- Generous paid time off including 12 holidays, minimum 56 hours sick time, 120 hours vacation, 12 weeks parental bonding leave in accordance with IBM Policy, and other Paid Care Leave programs. IBM also offers paid family leave benefits to eligible employees where required by applicable law
- Training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform where IBMers can grow skills and obtain industry-recognized certifications to achieve their career goals
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups, giving & volunteer opportunities, and discounts on retail products, services & experiences
The compensation range and benefits for this position are based on a full-time schedule for a full calendar year. The salary will vary depending on your job-related skills, experience and location. Pay increment and frequency of pay will be in accordance with employment classification and applicable laws. For part time roles, your compensation and benefits will be adjusted to reflect your hours. Benefits may be pro-rated for those who start working during the calendar year.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM