2024 Summer Intern: Quantum Hardware Engineer
IBM Quantum leads the world in quantum computing. We aim to solve complex problems the world’s most powerful supercomputers cannot solve, and never will. We are advancing quantum computing technology, hardware, and software, while exploring applications to make quantum broadly usable and accessible. With a worldwide network of Fortune 500 companies, academic institutions, researchers, educators, and enthusiasts, we are committed to driving innovation for our clients, our partners, and the open source Qiskit community. IBM Quantum is building an equitable, diverse, and inclusive global quantum computing ecosystem.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This is for a 2024 summer internship with the following start dates: May - August or June - September for quarter system schools.
As an engineer with IBM Quantum, your job will be to:
- Advance the development of quantum computing systems to include hardware, firmware, superconducting qubits, cryoelectronic circuit design, quantum microwave engineering, and quantum FPGA engineering (among other areas).
- Learn new quantum engineering techniques and incorporate those principles into work processes
- Participate in corporate events, executive speaker series, and showcase effective time management
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Applicants should be PhD & MS students
- Experience in a graduate program in engineering, quantum computing, physics, or a related field
- Engineering experience in a relevant area of study such as hardware development, firmware development, superconducting qubits, cryoelectronic circuit design, quantum microwave engineering, quantum FPGA engineering, or materials science, mechanical, and electrical engineering
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience with microelectronics materials and process integration, chemistry or materials science research, and/or applied physics research
- Experience with fabrication processes for quantum computing applications
- Experience in analog, mixed-signal, and custom digital integrated circuit design
- Experience with relevant development tools, including Cadence and possibly Mentor, ADS, HFSS, and other industry standard tools
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
The compensation range and benefits for this position are based on a full-time schedule for a full calendar year. The salary will vary depending on your job-related skills, experience and location. Pay increment and frequency of pay will be in accordance with employment classification and applicable laws. For part time roles, your compensation and benefits will be adjusted to reflect your hours. Benefits may be pro-rated for those who start working during the calendar year.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM