Principal Data Protection Engineer
- Performing project management responsibilities and lead the installation, acceptance, signoff, and cutover of new backup infrastructure with Planning, Maintenance Engineering, Transport, Security, Regional Operations and Engineering teams, and other organizations.
- Serving as the technical lead and give guidance to Operations teams in support of hardware/software upgrades, application of patches, and configuration of the VERITAS NetBackup software for various servers/clients/applications/databases
- Analyzing and resolve production related issues associated with master and media server , cyber vault hardware and software components of the Enterprise Backup environments. Improve backup success by identifying and implementing processes / areas of improvement.
- Working closely with the NetBackup Operations team, and Platform owners/ clients to monitor and verify backup jobs complete as expected. Work to address/resolve failures. Monitor network wide backup infrastructure to ensure capacity demands are met.
- Performing performance tuning measures according to recommended NetBackup best practices/guidelines and verify against all baseline testing.
- Providing direction to multiple vendors such as OnX, HP, Cohesity, EMC, Veritas and others. Work with internal groups to develop and complete design, and sizing, and implement enhancements that maintain or improve reliability and performance of storage subsystems.
- Effectively manage vendors and consultants. Work with vendors to obtain quotes, negotiate pricing, and ensure their products and services meet Verizon requirements and standards.
- Demonstrate/execute sound business practices relative to the procurement of equipment and services.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with Enterprise NetBackup Environment.
- Experience with Unix/Linux administration, network TCP/IP and Shell /Ansible/Python scripting required.
- Willingness to travel approximately 5% -10% of time.
- Must be able to do occasional night work during maintenance windows, as required.
- Strong experience and knowledge of database backup such as Oracle RMAN, and SQL.
- Strong experience and knowledge of Cyber security measures.
- Strong experience and knowledge of storage systems such as Data-domain, HP StoreOnce, Quantum DXi, and Veritas Flex and IRE appliances.
- Experience with SAN fabric technologies, Cisco MDS and Cisco Nexus.
- Experience with thin provisioning, compression, and deduplication.
- Working knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMware.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing and container solutions like Kubernetes.
- Demonstrate general understanding of distributed computing concepts, including the principles of network routing and data center switching.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to drive teams to consensus.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Where you'll be working
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401(k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives, we've got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York, Rhode Island or Washington work location, the compensation range for this position is between $103,000.00 and $211,000.00 annually based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.