Unit Process Engineer- Metals
As a Unit Process Engineer at IBM, you’ll get to work on the systems that are driving the quantum revolution and the AI era. Join an elite team of engineering professionals who enable IBM customers to make better decisions quicker on the most trusted hardware platform in today’s market.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Research at Albany Nanotech is currently seeking engineers in the area of process technology for semiconductors and related devices, including metal deposition. The hired candidates will have significant expertise and understanding of the fundamental principles in this process area. Some of the job responsibilities include maintaining and qualifying state of the art semiconductor 300mm process equipment and/or developing processes from an early concept stage into a mature element that enables a leading-edge technology.
Job responsibilities include
- As an equipment owner, you will be maintaining the health of the equipment by collaborating with equipment vendor, fab operations, process, and management team. To accomplish this, you will be working using web based statistical process control charts, SiView to collect the wafer history and related data, and web-based software to analyze the contamination, particle, and elemental data available from the wafers. A good understanding of the measurement and material analytical techniques is preferred.
- As process owner, you are expected to assess the process window, formulate design of experiments (DOE’s) and make continuous improvement to unstable processes. For process ownership, you will be working with integration team in addition to the above-mentioned teams.
- As process developer, you are expected to fundamentally understand the process tooling and design experiments to develop new processes for advanced technologies. You will be working with equipment vendors, material vendors, and internally at IBM to drive development for new materials and create data package for implementation of the developed process. You will be supporting the process needs for a join development program (JDP) or joint development alliance (JDA).
- Constant industry research and the ability to be up to date with latest semiconductor equipment advancements is part of this job. The ability and willingness to adapt on changing semiconductor technologies is important in this position. Generation of Intellectual Property for IBM and protection of it through the patenting process are also expected.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Fluent in English
- Strong analytical and design-of-experiment
- Willingness to work in Albany, NY, with occasional day travel to Yorktown Heights, NY, and infrequent overnight travel to various locations