Substation Physical Engineer
Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Your greatest work is ahead!
We are looking for a Substation Physical Engineer to join our team. As an Career Substation Physical Engineer, candidates will have the opportunity to work on projects for electric utilities at voltages from 12kV up to 500kV. This is an exciting and growing field in the power systems industry and allows candidates to get exposure to how the power generation such as that of renewable energy ties into the electric system. Candidates will be expected to use knowledge of digital logic design, AC and DC circuits to design substation electrical projects.
Remote options available for candidates not within a reasonable commuting distance to the office but must live within the client servicing territory (WA, OR, UT, CA, MT, ID)!
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT).
- Professional Engineer License (PE).
- Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities.
- Leadership Opportunities.
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities.
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career, share your resume with us today!
- Experience in executing substation physical projects
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with the internal team and clients to meet project needs.
- Performing quality control checks on substation physical design projects.
- Expected to read and design substation physical drawings such as one-line drawings, three-line drawings, plan-section drawings, foundation, grounding drawings.
- Create and check bill of materials for substation physical
- Expected to attend site visit at customer location
Successful candidates must comply with quality control and safe work practices and maintain compliance with project scope, schedule, and budget. This position will be a member of a design team comprised of engineers, designers, and CAD technicians and will work with client standards to implement design.
What Sets You Apart:
- Mid-Level: Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or related degree with two (2+) or more years of related substation physical design experience.
- Senior-Level: Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or related degree with four (4+) or more years of related substation physical design experience.
- Lead -Level: Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or related degree with eight (8+) or more years of related substation physical design experience.
- Experience with grounding studies/lightning protection and lighting studies.
- Demonstrate Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with the internal team and clients to meet project needs.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure situations.
- Collaborator and leader who can work effectively in team environment.
- Self-starter who works independently with minimal direction.
- Strong analytical skills and proven problem solver in both team and independent environments.
- High level of computer competency.
- Willingness to travel to project / client sites and Portland, OR office as needed.
You Might Also have:
- US Citizen and able to pass a DOE Background
- Engineer Intern (“EI” or “EIT”) professional certification.
- Professional Engineer (“PE”) License.
- Working knowledge of protection and control design
- Experience with bus calculation
- Experience with WinIGS or CDEGS
- Master’s degree in related field.
WHAT WE DO
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms. To explore and learn more, click here!
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
We take care of our employees. Leidos seeks the best and the brightest, and in return, we invest in you, with an eye on your future, through career advancement, growth opportunities and continuous improvement via mentoring, formal and informal project management training and assistance with obtaining pertinent certifications. We challenge you to help solve some of the world’s toughest problems, and reward you with a welcoming culture that recognizes the importance of a strong work/life balance, as well as competitive compensation and benefits. We believe that diversity and inclusion make us all better and offer the chance to have fun and make a difference.
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,250.00 - $146,875.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:12/05/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.