Distribution Relay Settings and Automation Engineer
Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers' success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is committed to doing the right thing for our customers, people, and community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
We seek a Distribution Relay Settings and Automation Engineer for our fast-growing Distribution System Protection and Automation team, to join our diverse and fast-paced organization. As a core team member, you will interact with other electric utility disciplines, playing a valuable part in leading and designing distribution, microgrid and renewable energy projects. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career; share your resume with us today!
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast-paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & non-technical training opportunities
- Mentorship Program
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- NESC expertise
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Interactions with other disciplines (Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
- Time management and organizational skills
- Solving challenging substation engineering problems.
- Working with design engineers and performing quality reviews.
- Working directly with clients as well as working with other staff in remote office locations.
- Assignments will cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support.
- Determine appropriate conductor type, size, transformer size, and equipment application.
- Specify relay settings, fuse sizes, trip savers settings and reclosers mode & settings to ensure proper coordination in distribution designs.
- Create relay settings for various distribution voltages (4kV and 34.5), including set points, logic diagrams, configuration files, and documentation.
- Conduct system protection and coordination studies for distributed energy resources and distribution automation schemes.
- Offer guidance and recommendations on system protection philosophies and standards to clients
- Apply system protection engineering principles in various areas, such as distribution lines, transformers, capacitor banks, and more
- Conduct system modeling and fault analysis for relay device coordination.
- Review protective relay operations, identify system disturbances, and provide resolutions to operational control problems.
- Assess data and model quality, identifying necessary corrections or enhancements for successful coordination between protective devices.
- Configuration of IED and data concentrators for substation and distribution automation devices.
- Configuration of Communication for Ethernet and Serial communications in substations.
- Engage in transmission and distribution line designs and substation designs and modifications.
What Sets you Apart:
- Mid-Level - Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) with two (2+) years of related experience.
- Senior Level - Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) four (4+) years of related experience.
- Strong foundation and technical knowledge in distribution power systems, distribution planning, and system protection strategies. Additional preference for experience with Distributed Energy Resources.
- Main requirement is experience with device coordination, creating relay settings and logic diagrams for distribution devices.
- Capable of using CYME, Synergi, Windmil, ETAP, EasyPower, LightTable and/or other distribution power for coordination studies and fault study analysis. Additional preference will be given if experienced with Aspen OneLiner and/or Electrocon CAPE.
- Experience with the development of relay settings for microprocessor relays including: SEL, Alstom, GE, ABB and others for distribution protection system. Additional preference will be given if experienced with the transmission system.
- Preferred if experienced with self-healing networks, FLISR schemes, etc.
- Preferred proficiency in substation and distribution protection and control design and industry standards.
- Knowledge of NERC PRC standards for compliance and familiarity with National Electrical Code (NEC) and National Electrical Safety Code (NESC)
- Experience implementing control and protection schemes, including interpreting schematics and wiring diagrams and preparing relay logic to complete the schemes.
- Experience with communication devices HMI, SCADA and RTU
- Experience with implementation of different communication protocols (example: DNP3, Modbus, IEC 61850 MMS and GOOSE.
- Strong engineering and interpersonal skills and high attention to detail with a passion for quality.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure situations.
- Team player who can work effectively in team environment.
- Self-starter who will work independently with minimal direction.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required when interfacing with clients and staff.
- High level of computer competency
- The following are additional skills that are considered a plus:
- Experience preparing technical reports.
- Familiarity with PTC MathCAD software
- Previous Quality Assurance/Quality Control experience
- Periodic travel may be required.
- Strong experienced candidate.
WHAT WE DO
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms. To explore and learn more, click here!
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
We take care of our employees. Leidos seeks the best and the brightest, and in return, we invest in you, with an eye on your future, through career advancement, growth opportunities and continuous improvement via mentoring, formal and informal project management training and assistance with obtaining pertinent certifications. We challenge you to help solve some of the world’s toughest problems, and reward you with a welcoming culture that recognizes the importance of a strong work/life balance, as well as competitive compensation and benefits. We believe that diversity and inclusion make us all better and offer the chance to have fun and make a difference.
Pay Range:Pay Range $65,000.00 - $117,500.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Original Posting Date:12/18/2023
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.