Modeling and Simulation Mid-Level Engineer – Hypersonics TPS
Leidos Defense Systems, is seeking a talented Modeling and Simulation Mid-Level Engineer to join a diverse team to create unique solutions for complex problems. With offices across the United States engaging in the defense, space, cyber and commercial fields, Dynetics provides responsive, cost-effective engineering, scientific and IT solutions.
The Modeling and Simulation Engineer will be responsible for leading and participating in modeling and simulation tasks in support of a Low-Rate Initial Production (LRIP) Thermal Protection System. Tasks will include development of methods of assessing process improvements and alternative materials as well as guiding ground and test flight data collection to increase the Technology Readiness Level of novel TPS technologies. The position will have responsibility for overseeing and executing multiple modeling and simulation activities including but not limited to structural analysis, aerothermal analysis, trajectory analysis and multi-physics modeling. Additionally, this role will require utilization and/or development of modeling and simulation tools to support testing activities executed under this and other programs. The program involves diverse technology areas including electronics, guidance, navigation and control, power generation, structures, payload integration, thermal protection, and system integration. The program will require effective collaboration with a large group of subcontracted team members, with several geographically disperse places of performance and a complex multi-agency customer set.
- Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering or one of the Physical Sciences
- Candidates must have a strong technical background in modeling and simulation with at least 4+ years of demonstrated experience
- Candidates must have a demonstrated background in numerical analysis techniques utilized for the assessment of system and subsystem performance
- Strong verbal and written skills along with a solid practical knowledge of CFD, heat transfer and multi-physics modeling tools and techniques
- Strong background in mathematical and physical principles
- Candidate must be self-motivated and be capable of functioning effectively in a fast-paced environment
- The candidate must have experience in the following areas:
- Experience supporting testing and experimentation activities and using experimentation to anchor models
- Working knowledge hypersonics and hypersonics flight technologies
- Proven experience managing to and meeting accelerated schedules
- Effective communication of information between various functional disciplines as well as strong briefing skills
- Experience using CFD and aerothermal modeling and evaluation tools such as Thermal Desktop, Loci-CHEM, DPLR, or ATAC or similar codes
- Experience performing both linear and non-linear analysis to capture material response
- Proficiency writing custom scripts to support analysis tasks using Python, MATLAB, or similar programming language
- Experience utilizing custom tools/plug-ins to enhance commercial modeling tools
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Candidate must be a US Citizen and possess (and be able to maintain) a Final Secret/SSBI Clearance or meet the eligibility to obtain (and maintain) a Secret Clearance.
- MS and 2+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience building custom tools/plug-ins to support or enhance commercial modeling and simulation tools
- Experience performing modeling and simulation tasks in support of hypersonic flight vehicle testing/development
- Preference will be shown to candidates with expertise in Thermal Desktop and ATAC
Original Posting Date:2024-02-05
While subject to change based on business needs, Leidos reasonably anticipates that this job requisition will remain open for at least 3 days with an anticipated close date of no earlier than 3 days after the original posting date as listed above.
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,250.00 - $146,875.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.