Infrastructure Engineer (99740)
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Network and Telephony
The Infrastructure Engineer solves technology problems in a specific
domain technology area [e.g., Network, Server, Computing]. They help
define and evolve the technology direction for their domain or line of
business areas of accountability. They ensure the efficient operation
of the infrastructure, support capacity planning, support system
designs. The Infrastructure Engineer will learn to lead projects with
some guidance that execute against this roadmap. This includes
development from concept through commercialization including line
extensions, new products, quality improvements and productivity
improvements. They also contribute to the development of new products
and applications for a chosen domain area. The Infrastructure Engineer
adheres to technology standards and the governance framework set by
leadership. They work collaboratively with other technology domains to
develop innovative business solutions. The Infrastructure Engineer
demonstrates the value of prototyping as an integral and regular step in
the design process of conceptualizing, refining, and finalizing an
inventive solution, service or product. They are will drive innovation
from a technical point of view, pushing the boundaries of complex
services and solutions that are simple, relevant, and human centered.
The Infrastructure Engineer –Network Engineer who will be responsible for maintaining and administering our
company's computer networks. Your primary duties will include maintenance of computer networks, hardware,
software, and other related systems, performing disaster recovery operations, protecting data, software, and
hardware from attacks, and coordinating the replacement of faulty network hardware components when necessary.
You will also be working closely with the users of our network in order to identify potential issues and fix existing
problems. Our ideal candidate will have experience with MPLS, SD-WAN, Cisco LAN, and AWS networking.
- Day to Day Support: (30%)
- Policies, Procedures and Standards: (20%)
- Technical Requirements and Design: (30%)
- Training / Mentoring: (20%)
- System Performance and Design - 20%
- Drive the effort to ensure efficient and resilient operation of the technology systems and the appropriate designs of those systems.
- Working with the line of business leaders and industry experts, ensure the plans help 1) reach a consensus about a set of needs and the technologies required to satisfy those needs, 2) provide a mechanism to ensure efficient and resilient system operation and 3) provide a framework to help plan and coordinate system performance metrics, capacity planning, and system designs.
- Team Development - 15%
- Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, removing roadblocks to their work;
- Leveraging organizational resources to improve capacity for project work; and mentoring and developing team members.
- Promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engaged in the project and making a meaningful contribution, and encourage a sustainable pace with high-levels of quality for the team.
- Perform as a team of strategic, creative, and technical professionals who partner with our clients to solve business problems and meet meaningful business goals.
- Technology Expertise - 45%
- Act as an expert in a particular field of knowledge [this may be a business/functional area and/or a particular technology] and provide detailed information and advice as necessary in that specialization in order to achieve business outcomes.
- Develop and/or promote technical solutions which support the business requirements within their area of expertise.
- Be accountable for specific deliverables in relation to software or web development and/or support.
- As needed, lead the technical activity within their area of specialization.
- Product Owner Support - 20%
- Support the Head of Technology Enablement/Customer Enablement in managing customer expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of project governance.
- Engage closely with clients to understand what business objectives they want to accomplish through technology enablement and then work with the Customer Enablement team of developers and designers to bring those ideas to life.
- Good decision-making ability, balancing what is right with what is realistic
- Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change
- Ability to lead through influence and to deliver results through others while overcoming obstacles to success
- Possesses a high energy level, sense of urgency, decisiveness, and an ability to work well under pressure
- Possesses a curiosity and a passion towards engaging the imagination of line of business leaders in grasping and enabling the fundamentals of change
- Ability to work and team with a multitude of different people from
- various lines of business as well as within Technology & Innovation
- Good verbal and written communication skills for a wide variety of audiences including proven ability to deliver internal presentations
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while simultaneously maintaining the "big picture" view
- Working knowledge of digital technologies and some applicability for the water and wastewater industries
- Experience with a small set of interdisciplinary technology specialties [e.g. data, mobility, GIS, collaboration, infrastructure] and/or deep knowledge of a particular specialty area
- Ability to apply these technology specialties to solve practical problems in a high-tech development environment with multi-function teams for small to medium, complex systems with some guidance
- Strong understanding of network infrastructure and network hardware.
- Ability to implement, administer, and troubleshoot network infrastructure devices, including wireless access points, firewall,
- routers, switches, controllers
- Knowledge of application transport and network infrastructure protocols.
- Ability to create accurate network diagrams and documentation for design and planning network communication systems.
- Provides specific detailed information for hardware and software selection.
- Ability to work with all levels of staff within and outside of IT and outside the organization.
- Network security experience.
- LAN and WAN experience.
- 3 to 5 years experience working in the technology field required.
- Experience with the water utility industry is highly desired, but not required.Five (5) plus years experience / knowledge in information technology with an emphasis on data networking.Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, relevant field of Engineering or similar technology field [equivalent work experience will be considered
- Subject matter expertise in Cisco WAN and LAN Products
• Subject matter expertise in Wireless LAN
• Subject matter expertise in MPLS and SD-WAN
• Subject matter expertise in Nexus and/or ACI
• Experience with VoIP
• Experience with VPN and/or Encryption
• Experience with Amazon / AWS
- As necessary, up to 50 %
- Desired: CCIE / CCNP or AWS
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.