Distribution Engineer ( R-00038053 )
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Our Civil business is helping to modernize and manage infrastructure, systems and controls, and cybersecurity for civilian agencies and commercial clients around the globe. With core competencies in information technology, energy and environment, complex logistics, and specialized engineering, we solve technical challenges and implement newfound efficiencies on a number of programs!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies” Leidos...We strive to make the complex clear
Leidos is looking for a Distribution Engineer in Kansas City, MO. This position offers the flexibility to work from home, however candidates must live in the Kansas City, MO area.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include joint use make ready, and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems. Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements or calculating a customer Contribution in Aid of Construction (CIAC). Work assignments may include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s of Science degree (EE preferred) is required (or equivalent relevant experience) and 2+ years of relevant experience or Masters degree with 1+ years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, Bentley OpenUtilities Designer, GE Smallworld, Maximo or similar products
• Experience with projects in distribution design: using medium voltage switchgear, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects
• Experience with development of civil & electrical packages associated with complex cable/conduit in dense urban environments
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to swing a 3 lb. hammer to stake poles
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
(Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
• Fundamentals of Engineer certification or Professional Engineer
• Experience with designing secondary networks
• Successful project management experience (initiate, plan, execute, monitor & control, closeout)
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Ability to work with limited supervision and providing leadership to other team members
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
PowerDeliveryExternal Referral Bonus:IneligiblePotential for Telework:NoClearance Level Required:NoneTravel:NoScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Distribution Design EngineeringPay Range: