Backscatter Mechanical Engineer ( R-00051253 )
The Leidos Security Detection & Automation (SDA) operation is seeking a Mechanical Engineer with a background in backscatter technology to join our engineering team in Vista, CA. This is a great opportunity for a staff engineer who likes to roll up their sleeves and work hands-on while exploring bleeding edge technology. Working in a diverse and collaborative R&D environment, this position will be responsible for high speed motor and collimation design in support of new product development and enhancement. This will include specification, component selections, critical component design, and following engineering review and document control practices.
The ultimate goal for this position will be to introduce new products to our already extensive line of security detection products. The products being developed through this effort are truly novel, and will make travel and trade safer, healthier, and more efficient on a global level.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design, implement, and test high-speed (~30,000 RPM) rotating collimation systems
- Design associated mounting structures and bearings to satisfy stability requirements
- Identify components, communicate with vendors, provide analytical suggestions for component selections
- Understand and design to high-speed rotation safety requirements
- Implement sigh speed rotation balance design and fine adjustment
- Optimize complex designs
- Build prototypes and verify requirements
- Join the product development team and provide expertise for key component design requirements
- Work closely with scientists and engineers for motor control and synchronization
- Lead preliminary and critical design reviews for subsystems during product development process.
- Collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers in order to develop proof of concept, prototype, and production-ready systems
- Follow established SDA ISO processes
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field with 6-8 years’ experience, OR a Master’s degree in related field and 4-6 years’ experience. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Experience in backscatter x-ray and high speed revolving mechanisms
- 4+ years of experience in the area of high speed rotation design
- Strong knowledge of modeling
- Strong communication skills, including excellent writing and presentation skills
- Proficiency in 2D and 3D solid modeling CAD tools
- Good documentation and process discipline
- Experience with X-ray device shielding and collimation
- Familiarity with Product Development Process
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos’ SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X- Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customer and passengers. The Security Detection and Automation Operation is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
* Hold Baggage
* Ports & Borders
Learn more about the greater Security Detection and Automation Operation team, offering an array of exciting career opportunities for the best in IT and Engineering.
SDASExternal Referral Bonus:IneligiblePotential for Telework:NoClearance Level Required:NoneTravel:Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Mechanical EngineeringPay Range: