Distribution Engineer ( R-00053066 )
This position is located in Framingham, MA. Relocation may be provided.
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies."
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
- Financial management
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering. Leidos is trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to our Power Delivery Services for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric and gas distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include joint use make ready, and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems. Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements or calculating a customer Contribution in Aid of Construction (CIAC). Work assignments may include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
Required Education & Experience:
•Associates Of Science (preferably engineering) from an accredited college or university and 4+ years of relevant experience OR a Bachelors Of Science (preferably engineering) and 2+ years of relevant experience OR a Master's and 1+ year of relevant experience. Bachelors degree or higher is preferred. Relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering (EIT/FE credentials or PE license is preferred).
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, Bentley OpenUtilities Designer, GE Smallworld, Maximo or similar products
• Experience with projects in distribution design: using medium voltage switchgear, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects
• Experience with development of civil & electrical packages associated with complex cable/conduit in dense urban environments
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to swing a 3 lb. hammer to stake poles
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
(Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
• Fundamentals of Engineer certification or Professional Engineer
• Experience with designing secondary networks
• Successful project management experience (initiate, plan, execute, monitor & control, closeout)
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Ability to work with limited supervision and providing leadership to other team members
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Working with client in the office or via a field visit
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
External Referral Bonus:EligiblePotential for Telework:NoClearance Level Required:NoneTravel:Yes, 10% of the timeScheduled Weekly Hours:40Shift:DayRequisition Category:ProfessionalJob Family:Distribution Design EngineeringPay Range: