Distinguished Engineer, SRE ( 584844-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
In this role you will provide Technical expertise, Lead a team that develops SRE framework and practice all tenets of SRE, vision and technical leadership to enable the execution of best in class operations practices that could improve Reliability of Applications.
- Developing a total SRE framework and get buy-in and support from stakeholders in all parts of the business, up to CXO level.
- Interacting with cross functional teams to understand the design and lifecycle of flows and services – from development, deployment, operation and any/all planned enhancements.
- Applying engineering mindset and development skills to IT operations to improve the overall observability of the applications and infrastructure and develop proactive incident detection, response and remediation framework.
- Developing a scorecard framework to measure business service reliability, availability and time-to-market for our customer interactions using SLI, SLO and error budget.
- Working with business, development and operational teams in defining and dashboarding the SLOs, SLIs and error budgets.
- Eliminating toil by automation across all the layers – infrastructure provisioning, configuration management, deployment, testing, and operation.
- Providing recommendations to scale and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Leading the implementation of SRE Framework, develop monitoring tooling across the stack, and optimize systems for uptime, performance, and reliability based on the data gathered by this tooling.
- Interfacing directly with senior staff members within the organization to discuss and assess compliance with IT policies, standards and procedures, suggest opportunities for improvement, and report on the status of specific. Working with development teams throughout the software life cycle ensuring sustainable software releases.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- SRE Solutions Architect with over 8+ years’ experience on distributed system design and integration architectures of business applications using microservices, k8s, containers, cluster management and cloud.
- Knowledge of SRE practices and principles to build resilient systems and to provide business continuity.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required, Masters preferred.
- Programming skills with Java, python and .NET, Node.JS, CSS and HTML, RestfulAPI's, Database schema creation, Oracle DB.
- Experience with software development, software delivery lifecycle, application modernization, DevOps, Service/Infrastructure as Service and Operations.
- Automation experience and ability to code or script at an advance level.
- Build AIOps platform to aggregate systems/application data, develop anomaly and forecasting models and self-healing framework.
- Lead and participate in performance tests identify bottlenecks, opportunities for optimization, and capacity demands for retail season and device launches.
- Experience in vendor management.
- Experience in IT Security and compliance, operations and network services, and application development.
- Experience in Cloud & Container platform Strategies, Design, Architecture and Migration.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).