Principal Automation Engineer ( 565493-1I )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Building 5G Core for our Mobile Private Network customers is one of our critical missions. The VNOE team is looking for a Principal Engineer who will drive the design and engineering of automation and as well as integration of 5GC VNFs/CNFs in our production network. As part of the Virtual Network Operations & Engineering team, you will onboard 5GC Network Functions (SMF/UPF) that will serve millions of Enterprise, Wholesale and Public Safety customers.
These applications utilize the cutting edge cloud technology (webscale, service proxy, and service mesh) built over Verizon Cloud Platform (VCP) resources and eNSE fabric infrastructure to provide customers with the latest wireless capabilities, speed and capacity while contributing to the building of the next generation wireless networks. This person will also be a leader within the Virtual Network Operations and Engineering (VNOE) Team, working with external vendors and internal teams such as MTCE, TP&D, NFVI, NFVO, HQ Planning, Product and NI to translate the high level design into an end-to-end automated deployment and integration plans. This lead engineer will have a strong, customer centric voice in defining as well as implementing the strategic roadmap of Automation and Virtualization of the network applications.
- Being the architect of end- to- end deployment, automation and orchestration of 5GC Networks applications along with the underlying web scale compute architecture using existing orchestration frameworks such as NFVD, Atlas, and Helm/Openshift/KubeAPIs cloud tools with end goals of zero touch provisioning, high scalability, and closed loop in mind.
- Driving the network trial/ FOA and developing engineering E2E deployment plan of the Standalone 5G Core NF by identifying, evaluating, and driving new opportunities through an expert-level comprehension of network design, common APIs, and web technologies.
- Leading the complex testing/evaluating and troubleshooting and providing recommendations for product improvements and new feature development.
- Leading the effort to transform the way we do operations by promoting a DevOps mindset.
- Driving the overall direction and understanding of Automation schemas and educating both internal and external teams and personnel with regards to the tools used that drive the business direction.
- Contributing to the design and building next gen networks that will support innovative and disruptive consumer applications.
- Providing insight into VNOE requirements while partnering with internal teams and external vendors to develop 3+ years technology strategy, roadmap, and planning.
- Partnering with Planning to shape the Standalone 5G Core roadmap, and future automation and orchestration framework that fits the needs of business requirements for VNOE.
*This position will allow you to work from any VZ location
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with automation Application deployment and Lifecycle mgmt through automation tools (i.e. Ansible, Tail-f) with scripting (i.e. Ansible, Python, etc).
- In-depth demonstrable experience with 4G/5G Core.
- In-depth demonstrable knowledge of cloud architecture and open source tools.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Three or more years of distributed software design & development experience.
- Experience in OS virtualization and containerization isolation technologies.
- Demonstrated experience building Container based solutions (distributed and standalone) using Kubernetes, and/or Docker Data Center/swarm.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lead collaborative ideation and technical design sessions across various network and product teams.
- Create Build playbooks for junior engineers for site specific deployments.
- Experience in deploying VNF’s utilizing internal orchestration frameworks such as ATLAS/NFVD
- Experience with designing, engineering, or operating service provider networks.
- Strong Scripting Skills (Python).
- Strong Knowledge of IP Networking including Virtual Private Cloud, VPN, SDN, DNS, Load-balancing, and Firewalls.
- A proven track record of delivering large systems to a predefined schedule.
- Previous record of distilling highly complex technical solutions into business cases for leadership.
- Managed high expectations from multiple directions with the proven ability to focus team members on objectives.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).