Site Reliability Engineer ( 586120-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is serious about innovation. About being the first and being the best. We are building a future using technologies like 5G, Multi-Access Edge Computing and Artificial Intelligence that are allowing us to create products that were previously impossible. We’re building tomorrow with the best of today. The Verizon New Business Incubation (NBI) team is built on curiosity and fueled by the 5G future. Our team is anchored in the Corporate Strategy organization of Verizon, and focuses on bringing new business ideas that leverage bleeding edge technology and Verizon's best-in-class network to market.
We are a highly nimble and collaborative team, full of passionate leaders without egos. We are committed to exploring, failing fast, learning, iterating, innovating and building the best solutions. We’re driven by creativity and an unyielding commitment to deliver next generation solutions that captivate our customers. As part of Verizon’s NBI team, you’ll be building the businesses that power the 5G future. We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) to help us build upon this exciting technology exploring new ways of leveraging its capabilities. If you consider yourself a technically-proficient individual who understands the complex intricacies of providing reliable, scalable, and performant systems, then we want you!
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will bridge development and operations by applying a software engineering mindset to system administration topics. You will have the ability to clearly and concisely summarize complex topics and map the application of technology to business needs and customer expectations. Working with automation technologies means that you are a fast learner, creative problem solver, and you enjoy answering the BIG questions. You can hold your own in a diverse work team structure, are able to context shift quickly, and understand how to apply your expertise to provide best-in-class service.
- Collaborate closely with product developers to ensure non-functional requirements such as availability, performance, security, and maintainability are achieved.
- Critically examine a system and use those findings to employ the best solution for providing value to our customers.
- Make decisions quickly, learn on the fly when necessary, and solve problems effectively.
- Substitute automation for human labor by application of software expertise.
- Dedicated full-time to proactively creating software that improves the reliability of systems in production, fixing issues, responding to incidents, and usually taking on-call responsibilities.
- Ensure the creation of relevant monitoring resulting in actionable alerting.
- Create technical documentation and maintenance of operational runbooks ensuring that knowledge is captured appropriately in a fast-paced environment.
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience
- Three or more years of relevant work experience
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Two or more years in operations or software engineering role.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Passion for technology as well as helping customers and team members.
- Expertise with cloud-continuous deployment based software development lifecycles.
- Mastery of infrastructure automation technologies.
- Experience with AWS.
- Basic understanding of containers/docker.
- Basic understanding of Linux.
- Bash/Python scripting.
- Experience using Datadog to monitor infrastructure.
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).