Manager, Business Analyst for R&D Portfolio Operations IT
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology, and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Business Analyst, R&D Portfolio Operations IT in Global Drug Development IT contributes to the effective delivery of IT products and services supporting R&D Portfolio Operations. Collaboratively partner with colleagues across R&D Strategy and Planning and R&D Finance to understand their information technology and digital enablement needs driving R&D Portfolio Operations. This role will have responsibility for enhancing the quality of R&D Portfolio Operations products and services, analyzing data and business processes, and finding technological solutions aligning to business needs that drive value for the overall BMS (Bristol Myers Squibb) and R&D Portfolio Operations IT strategy. The IT Business Analyst will work across the matrix IT organization to drive product roadmap execution from ideation to value realization, providing domain expertise. If you want an exciting and rewarding career that is meaningful, consider joining our diverse team!
Desired Candidate Characteristics:
- Have a commitment to a career in technology with a passion for healthcare
- Ability to understand the needs of the business and commitment to deliver the best user experience and adoption
- Able to collaborate across multiple teams
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Innovative and inquisitive nature to ask questions, offer bold ideas and challenge the status quo
- Agility to learn new tools and processes
- Strong capacity to identify business needs, translate those needs into strong use cases and user requirements, and transform them into digital solutions.
- Proficient in business analysis techniques such as gathering user insights, business and functional requirements gathering, business process mapping, interviewing, user stories, storyboarding, prototyping, data flows, and root cause analysis.
- Exceptional communication and relationship-building skills, can interact and build trust across different levels of the organization.
- Work across the team (Product Manager, Technical Leads, Business Leads, and other IT colleagues) to understand business needs, challenges and opportunities, and how digital capabilities can be leveraged to deliver value.
- Create IT documentation artifacts supporting an agile technology implementation model, including requirements specifications, process diagrams, user acceptance test plans, traceability matrices, and wireframes.
- Proficient knowledge of testing activities including Functional Testing, System Integration Testing, Regression and User Acceptance Testing.
- Understand key processes within R&D Strategy and Planning and R&D Finance that drive R&D Portfolio Operations and understand the value they provide.
- Develop strong understanding of existing technologies and business capabilities within the assigned Product Line.
- Establish and maintain awareness of external drivers in the portfolio operations domain and relevant technology trends.
- Connect and educate the business stakeholders on the broader IT capabilities and services.
Qualifications & Experience
- Requires advanced knowledge applicable to a wide range of work in own function and thorough knowledge of other functions, typically gained through a university degree and 4-6 years of experience.
- Experience working in large and/or complex IT programs, preferably within the drug development and clinical operations R&D domain for a pharmaceutical sponsor, CRO (Clinical Research Organizations) or biotech company.
- Experience in business processes for R&D portfolio operations such as portfolio and project management, resource management and planning, schedule planning, related financial data reporting and asset management.
- Knowledge of computer system validation processes.
- Understanding of technology and theoretical skills in automation, machine learning and data science.
- Domain experience with Planisware and other Project Portfolio Management Software solutions is preferred.
- Articulates and presents complex information clearly and concisely across all levels. Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge and expertise thereby establishing a compelling reputation for themselves and the team.
- Demonstrates a focus on improving processes, structures, and knowledge within the team. Leads in analyzing current states, deliver strong recommendations in understanding complexity in the environment, and the ability to execute to bring complex solutions to completion.
- Demonstrates sophisticated analytical thought using various data sources and internal/external environment. Understands the broader implications of actions and perspective. Synthesizes results and links patterns and trends. Considers lessons learned and best practices in conveying to the team's understanding and knowledge.
- Applies a continuous improvement mindset in enhancing efficiency, quality and effectiveness or their work outputs.
- Displays understanding of performance metrics driving the team's goals and questions the external environment and its' implication on the goals and strategies.
Why You Should Apply
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion, and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.