Senior Director, Global Issues Management & Business Continuity
Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
This position reports to the Executive Director, Global Business Continuity & Community Impact. This role is responsible for leading and executing internal and external communications and stakeholder engagement strategy and programs to support global issues management and business continuity related to the Global Product Development, Manufacturing and Supply Chain organization (GPS) at Bristol-Myers Squibb. The position requires a communications professional who demonstrates sound business judgment and can work closely with mid- and senior-level leaders in the organization to source information and drive effective communications. To be successful, the individual must possess the ability to think strategically, scenario plan and remain agile as priorities and situations shift. Must be able to successfully work in a highly matrixed organization, manage and prioritize multiple tasks and projects, effectively engage and collaborate with global cross-functional teams.
The high-level scope of the responsibilities of the Senior Director, Global Issues Management & Business Continuity is as follows:
- Responsible for the consultation and development of communications and stakeholder engagement strategies on all global product shortages, global allocation scenarios, manufacturing delays/issues, product deletions, quality issues, recalls, Health Authority/supplier/alliance partnership correspondence, HA action as a result of facility inspection outcomes (for BMS and more than 140+ global CMOs), raw material shortages and communications related to regulatory and/or government actions impeding the company’s ability to supply patients.
- Provides executive communication advice and support to GPS Global Leadership Team (GPSLT) and Senior Leadership Team (SLN) members.
- Serves as representative leader (GPS) on the BMS Crisis Event Response Team (CERT) to effectively lead related communications strategies.
- Partners on shaping GPS business continuity and resiliency communications strategy, related simulation trainings, relevant media trainings and spokesperson identification.
- Responsible for leading the development and maintenance of best practices playbook.
- The role will work closely with global commercial brand leads; US and International market communications leads; corporate media and reputation team; government affairs; community impact leads; and GPS functional leads in Quality, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Facilities, Legal and Regulatory.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned self-motivated leader with a track record of setting, driving and delivering against integrated communications strategies. This position will play a critical role with cross-functional teams to consult and develop robust communications and stakeholder engagement strategies and programs and therefore, must possess strong interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will additionally possess excellent written and oral communication skills; demonstrate a proven ability to lead strategic communication initiatives aligned with broader company objectives; and operate within a complex, fast-paced environment. S/he must be able to collaborate with business leaders and teams and have demonstrated ability to successfully influence others. Expertise in strategic planning, issues management and crisis communications are essential.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, etc.:
- Ability to build strong, trusting relationships, lead large/complex communications and stakeholder engagement strategy and programs, work across divisions with colleagues of diverse business backgrounds and cultures.
- Proven experience developing communications strategy in coordination with business partners to support enterprise priorities.
- Experience working with media and serving as a corporate spokesperson.
- Exceptional collaboration skills with the ability to partner effectively within the department and across the business to drive and scale communications strategies across the enterprise.
- Strong ability to lead and oversee projects to ensure effectiveness and efficiency, including ability to seamlessly manage multiple competing priorities.
- Strong management and team leadership skills, including willingness to mentor others.
- Superior written and interpersonal communications skills. Strong presentation and facilitation skills; ability to engage with and persuade a wide variety of audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree required, ideally in Communications or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Accomplished communications professional with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in crisis communications, issues management, product communications, public relations agency or related field. Healthcare experience and solid understanding of the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry is preferred.
- This position may require travel (approximately 15%).
- One direct report: Associate Director, Global Issues Management & Business Continuity
- This position may be responsible for the management of consulting relationships.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can perform complex functions through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.