Business Process Specialist-II (99731)
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Senior Business Process Specialist – Technology Spend
The Business Process Specialist is a crucial enabler of business process improvement within one or more lines of business. They apply the skills of business process consulting and technology enablement to lead learning and change within an organization. More than a project manager, the Business Process Specialist provides leadership that builds commitment and understanding required to accomplish the improvement goals for a line of business. They must focus on optimizing value through a fact-based decision process. A key role is to oversee and direct business process improvement to achieve business goals.
The Business Process Specialist’s responsibility is to support constructive change from conception and to transfer the ownership to the business sponsor as the initiative matures to implementation. They must always be aware of the enterprise-wide implications of the technology changes at the work-team level. Understanding the characteristics of business process improvement requires thinking "two steps ahead" of the current focus of activity and will assure that the overall value stream realizes the benefits of local improvements. The primary objective for the Business Process Specialist is to provide the synergy for making breakthrough improvements possible by leveraging innovative technology. They act as a catalyst for business process owners and process improvement teams to achieve defined improvement objectives and specific goals. They must understand, but be independent of, the work processes to provide unbiased direction to executive and management, process improvement teams, and the organization overall. They must focus on the process of business process improvement as well as the results.Key Accountabilities
Project Planning & Management
- Define project scope and schedule while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value; organize and lead project status and working meetings; prepare and distribute progress reports; manage risks and issues; correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for assigned projects
Process Management & Improvement
- Define project scope and schedule while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value; organize and lead project status and working meetings; prepare and distribute progress reports; manage risks and issues; correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for assigned projects."
Process Owner Support
- Support the T&I leaders in managing customer expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of project governance.
- Engage closely with clients to understand what business objectives they want to accomplish through technology enablement and then work with the T&I team of developers and designers to bring those ideas to life
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Project, Visio, and all Office Tools Strong knowledge of business process modeling solutions, e.g., ARIS. Working knowledge of digital technologies and applicability for the water and wastewater industries
- Sufficient level of technical background to provide highly credible leadership to development teams and to be able to accurately and objectively evaluate complex project risks and issues
- Exceptional analytical skills focused on problem solving and process improvement in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business need with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence
- Excellent decision-making ability, balancing what is right with what is realistic
- Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change
- Demonstrated ability to work and team with a multitude of different people from various lines of business as well as within Technology & Innovation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for a wide variety of audiences including proven ability to deliver conference presentations Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while simultaneously maintaining the "big picture
- 5+ years of total work experience required providing business process analysis for large, complex projects in a high-tech development environment with multi-function teams with additional experience focused on business process excellence and technology optimization
- Practical experience leveraging Lean / Six Sigma concepts is preferred
- Experience with the water utility industry is desired, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Information Systems, or similar field is required. Equivalent work experience will be considered
- Masters or MBA will be a plus
- Certified Business Process Professional [CBPP] certification will be a plus
- As necessary, up to 15 %
- Primarily in an office environment
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.