IT Business Relationship Manager (MBB & MSG) (100425)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The IT Business Relationship Manager serves as a strategic business partner and is responsible for developing strong relationships with the respective business/function leaders and other stakeholders to deliver effective technology products and solutions. This role will focus on partnering with business stakeholders to identify technology opportunities aligned with strategic business plans, define the technology roadmap and build a portfolio of initiatives/ projects to deliver on the strategy. He/ She will own the relationships with the respective business leaders and serve as the primary point of contact, working to converge the services of the T&I function with one or more business functions.
ITBRM will partner with the enterprise architecture team and other T&I functions to develop and maintain a multi-year technology roadmap tied to the business capability roadmap, collaborate with the delivery management team and project/program/portfolio management organization (PMO) to ensure effective business transformation.He/She will also partner with appropriate resources and drive the creation of idea documents, business cases, and value plans, ensuring value optimization and continuous improvement in business processes.
The IT BRM will provide functional & technical expertise and guidance to business leaders to enable strategic direction related to technology initiatives. The person in this role should preferably have an IT background and sound experience with related business processes and technologies that impact customer experience (internal & external). He/ She will also provide technical guidance to the business to ensure maximum return on investment in IT strategy.Key Accountabilities
- Develop a deep knowledge of the respective business unit/function and build strong relationships both horizontally and vertically
- Ensure business value realization and optimization, business case development, financial awareness, manage expectations and identify opportunities where technology can add value
- Identify business function opportunities for technology adoption and partner with business leaders to plan new initiatives, evaluate proposals, and determine how technology fits into business capability roadmaps and priorities
- Focus on business value to develop solution ideas, including digital awareness, risk assessments, business continuity, and business capability requirements
- Engage in consistent and effective communication with the business as well as to measure and communicate business value realized periodically, managing escalation and avoiding risk
- Drive the design of solution concepts and business cases for new initiatives and act as the key liaison between the BU / Function and T&I
- Partner with the project/program/portfolio management organization (PMO) to ensure a healthy and well-managed initiative portfolio
- Engage as a project /program stakeholder, evaluate project efforts and ensure that project/program managers are aligned with their business functions
- Partner with the Architecture & Innovation team to understand new technology trends, evaluate future requirements, and bring new ideas to the business for consideration
- Collaborate with the architecture and development teams to help ensure solution compatibility with enterprise standards
- Effectively translate business needs to the technology solutions team to align business needs and technical capabilities
- Collaborate with the Technology Strategy & Governance team on the intake process and prioritization of projects, budgets, and forecasts
- Good understanding of core business processes and technology solutions to support those processes.
- Good understanding of the integrated approach to customer service (Call center, Web, Mobile, etc.)
- Experience with customer-facing web applications, custom product development, model-driven analysis solutions, and digitally driven customer experience
- Sound knowledge/experience in defining customer service/technology strategy and leveraging industry best solutions to meet the business objectives.
- Sound knowledge of different technology and process-oriented solutions related to Finance, Supply Chain, and Business Development to drive business value
- Good understanding of HR, Legal, and Communication functions and processes with a focus on developing business/technology strategy
- Experience with implementation and leveraging software solutions and business capabilities such Salesforce, Oracle CC&B, Oracle EBS, People Analytics, Contract Management Solutions, and Document Management Solutions,
- Strong leadership, business, technical, analytical, problem-solving, and verbal and written communication skills
- 15 + years of total work experience
- 7 + years of experience in an IT role such as Solution Architect / Business Analyst / Project Manager/ Business Relationship Manager
- 5 + years of functional / domain experience in a business function is desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent
- Masters or MBA will be a plus
- Up to 15%
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.