Assistant Scientist, Cell Culture Bioprocess Technology, MS&T (R1560982-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The BioProcess Technology (BPT) function of MS&T is seeking an Assistant Scientist, Cell Culture to serve as a technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) to support commercial drug substance cell culture activities at the large-scale cell culture (LSCC) facility, single-use facility (SUF), external manufacturing (ExM) and cell banking facility (CBF) at Devens and across the broader biologics network. The position will be highly cross-functional and will build and maintain effective collaborations with Manufacturing, Manufacturing Technology/Sciences, Process Engineering, Digital Plant/Automation, Quality Assurance, Analytical, and Global Regulatory Sciences groups. This role will report to a Principal Scientist within the cell culture bioprocess technology group.
- Assist in design of studies and execute analysis of media, cell banking, seed train, and bioreactor experiments using scale-down models and the interpretation of these results with respect to the GMP manufacturing process
- Interface with site functions for joint accountability for manufacturing of drug substance at the Devens LSCC, SUF, and ExM.
- Support process technology transfers, process validation, and the preparation of CMC documentation for regulatory filings.
- Support manufacturing process changes and investigations and maintain understanding of manufacturing data
- Assist with preparation of protocol studies and reports to support GMP manufacturing activities
- Assist and/or execute evaluation and implementation of new process technologies using scale-down models
- Embody the BMS behaviors and embrace the culture with BMS and the drug substance MS&T organization
Qualifications & Experience
- BSc in STEM field with 0-2 years’ experience (e.g. chemical engineering, biology, or equivalent)
- A practical knowledge of the technologies related to cell culture and bioprocess engineering
- Interest in hands on laboratory work and experience in contributing to the design, modification and optimization of cell culture or fermentation unit operations
- Interest in assessing scientific technologies and their application to the BioPharma industry
- Demonstrated effectiveness in both a team environment and as an individual contributor with supervision
- Proactively identifies problems and troubleshoots solutions
- Organizes and presents data for internal/external scientific meetings
- Capable and willing to train others on procedures, operations, new technology, methods or processes
- Occasional business travel may be required (up to 10%)
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- You may be required to work in areas where chemical, biologic, and environmental risks are present
- You will be located in a bench scale laboratory with classified areas requiring appropriate gowning and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- You will perform laboratory operations including media/buffer preparation, cell culture scale-up, and bioreactor operation including sampling. Repetitive tasks including but not limited to pipetting, keyboard use, mouse use and report writing will be occasionally required
- Occasional standing, walking, bending, twisting, squatting, kneeling, climbing, and reaching is required. Role also requires infrequent unassisted lifting (not to exceed 50 lbs), carrying, or pushing objects
- You will be a team-based position that requires occasional weekend and holiday work
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.