Chief Technology Officer - Verizon Location Technology ( 583602-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Verizon Location Technology organization provides customers with location solutions that solve current challenges and equip them to address challenges of the future. We build core and next generation location technology for Verizon and the world. Verizon Location Technology helps bridge the physical and digital worlds using the power of location intelligence. We are an agile and curious team. We take pride in our work and we value the customer experience above all else.
As the Verizon Location Technology CTO, you will play an integral role in ensuring our products are built with excellence, predictability, and transparency as new, powerful features are delivered to the market. The ideal CTO will bring a unique blend of hands-on high-energy, business sense and acumen, technological expertise, leadership, culture-building skills, and strategic vision. This position is vital to our growth strategy, setting the course for Verizon Location Technology’s tech strategy and how it impacts our industry. First-class relationship building skills and a keen sense of how technology translates into business value are a must.
The CTO will help bridge the product planning world with the technical implementations delivered to Verizon Location Technology’s connected ecosystem.
Where you’ll be working…
This role will be based preferably out of Denver, Colorado but open to any Verizon work location as listed in the posting. In this role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we're looking for…
As the CTO, your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Build and maintain the VLT Technology Roadmap:
- Make the strategic technology decisions and plan how they will be executed over time.
- Align the Technology Roadmap with the Product Plan and Release Plan.
- Ensure the Technology Roadmap supports the Business Plan of senior leadership, maximizing efficiency and value to the business.
- Hire the best team possible
- Hire the best team, not a collection of the best individuals.
- Create a team skilled at mentoring and being mentored.
- Ensure each team member exemplifies the team culture and agile spirit.
- Ensure the team is equipped and well-motivated to execute the Release Plan in the context of the Technology Roadmap.
- Lead the team in building excellent products using superior software craftsmanship
- Build using skills honed by the learnings of industry leaders, making their craft your teams: Clean Code, Clean Architecture, SOLID, et al.
- Strive for simplicity and maintaining a code base that has a low total cost of ownership that remains low over time, as the system grows.
- Protect agility while opposing over-engineering and premature optimization (YAGNI).
- Create and feed a culture in line with the Agile Manifesto, faithful to the Agile Principles. You will value:
- Individuals and interactionsover processes and tools.
- Working softwareover comprehensive documentation.
- Customer collaborationover contract negotiation.
- Responding to changeover following a plan.
- Build trusting relationships with the Head of Product, the senior leadership team, and key stakeholders:
- Ensure engineering resources are spent only to enable the senior leaders’ business plan and the Head of Product’s Product Strategy.
- Continually show traceability from Release Plan milestones to work in progress.
- Be comprehensively transparent in everything.
- Collaborate relentlessly with your partners.
- Ensure the safe, reliable operations of critical systems
- Engineer systems for operations and DevOps.
- Create a DevOps environment that ensures stability, SLAs, flexibility, and transparency.
- Make technology a competitive advantage for VLT
- The Technology Roadmap and implemented software should be innovative and disruptive.
- Technology debt should be kept low to build momentum in technological capability and agility.
- Ensure VLT’s technology ecosystem opens strategic doors, and does not close them.
- Work closely with the NBI CTO, Chief Engineer, and Chief Architect to ensure alignment of VLT strategic planning and standards with NBI strategy and requirements.
- Work to implement the vision and Technology Roadmap of the NBI CTO.
- Coordinate cross-cutting technology implementations with NBI technical leadership.
- Work to further the manifestation of strategic decisions of the NBI CTO.
What we’re looking for...
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent experience.
- 15 years or more experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
- 10 years or more experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring/termination and performance management.
- High proficiency and technical leadership in the latest, proven architectural techniques and agile methods.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Deep understanding of how culture and team dynamics create exceptional teams.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Strategic Vision: Natural ability to see the big picture, and to derive a concrete plan to shape the future. Comprehend the many dimensions of how various technology set combinations can achieve market disruption and create momentum in the ever-changing state of tech industry. Be able to confidently turn that understanding into a feasible plan to enable the execution of the Business and Product Plans.
- Results Driven: Proven results on delivering/exceeding goals on time, with an attention to detail. Experience managing and prioritizing multiple goals and technological constraints simultaneously.
- Relationship Management: Aptitude to build strong relationships and bonds with management, director, and executive levels, both on the business side as well as tech. Experience effectively setting and managing key stakeholder expectations.
- Communication Skills: Exemplary written and oral communication skills. Solid proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint/Keynote for partner-ready reports and presentations. Stellar diplomacy: you are a straightforward and empathetic communicator.
- Influence Skills: Experience and great skill in leading through influence. A great listener and collaborator, you are a force for unity.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).