Principal Cloud and Data Engineering Architect
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Our business relies on Network systems for managing Customer Experience and generating new Revenue opportunities based on 5G, MEC, and IOT markets.
Our business partners have high expectations for our Network Systems platforms - speed, responsiveness, high availability, reliability, scalability and security. That’s where you come in. You will work as a Lead Subject Matter Expert in Network Systems - Service Assurance domain demonstrating your great Technical Leadership skills.
This platform is responsible for processing extremely critical and sensitive networks and users related information from 4G, 5G, MEC, wireline networks. These are used for billing, legal, network performance and optimization purposes and in some cases via AI/ML technologies.
The Data Mediation platform is undergoing a Digital Transformation - 6 massive on-premise cloud clusters have been built across 3 NEC locations. Latest state-of-the-art technology stack has been deployed and a refined event-driven system architecture is being developed.
In parallel, Data Engineering vertical is being set up to deploy AI/ML based predictive analysis engines for our Network Planning and Operations team.
We are looking for a System Architect in the cloud technologies and Data Engineering Architect to take the charge and build a next generation platform
The responsibilities include the complete platform ownership - Design, Develop, Optimize and Operations. The lead will also be responsible for understanding the network data and developing the analytics, insights and use cases along with business partners.
- Data Mediation and AI/ML - Lead the analytics use cases and the on-premise cloud platform.
- Engage in high-visibility strategic cross-functional projects and completely own solution delivery focusing on quality, time, business expectations, and budget.
- Propose new use cases adding business value (e.g., new revenue, cost savings, time savings, customer experience).
- Define requirements, design, and set-up of new environments to demonstrate proof of concept. Understand new technologies and new use cases
- Translate business requirements to technical user stories.
- Architect, design, and implement optimal solutions to complex problems and meet critical business needs and also lead and guide team members.
- Lead reviews and ensure team complies to quality, SRE and other compliance requirements.
- Provide critical support to our system users and act as a liaison between developers and business users.
- Support Operations Team - Investigates and resolves trouble tickets entered by the end users community.
- Monitor key metrics and system heath and quickly identifying and resolving problems.
Where you'll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
Seeking a dynamic, enterprising, talented, passionate and highly motivational technical leader for the Network Systems Mediation team with a high level of technical leadership skills, ready to question our own status quo and be a trailblazer for the team and the group.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of related experience in technology and engineering.
- Experience with large scale distributed on-premise and cloud based architectures - application and deployment.
- Experience with building real-time applications and use cases which leverage streaming data.
- Experience in Java and Containers (Kubernetes).
- Knowledge of cloud-native frameworks - Flink, Pulsar/Kafka Message Bus, S3 Object Storage, Oracle RAC, no-sql database, Redis/Memcache caching solutions, ELK, Prometheus, etc.
- Experience leading a technical team across multiple parallel projects.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Master’s degree.
- Data engineering and data analytics experience.
- Cloud certifications.
- Experience with DevOps tools, techniques, and growth mindset.
- Good understanding and experience of 3GPP Radio and/or Core network architecture (4G and 5G domain - PGW, CHF, UPF), Multi-Access Edge Compute (MEC).
- Domain knowledge of object-oriented design patterns and event driven architecture.
- Innate curiosity and passion for learning wireless technology, K8S, etc.
- Excellent problem solving skills and drive the team through ambiguity.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills with the ability to gather and organize data and develop solutions.
- Agility to meet the Business priorities and expectations and create high quality, delightful, polished user experiences.
- Ability to work in a team and independently on multiple high-priority projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.